Country
United Kingdom
is installing rcbos type c bad or good
type b breaking capacity 30amp
type c breaking capacity 60 amps
i would say not to use type c due to cable failing before breaker
your views please!

Sponsored Links
I think you're muddling breaking capacity with fault current, and both are irrelevant to design current, although a cable should stand the fault current.

is installing rcbos type c bad or good
type b breaking capacity 30amp
type c breaking capacity 60 amps
i would say not to use type c due to cable failing before breaker
your views please!

What are you trying to achieve?

Sponsored Links
He's talking about a 6A RCBO, a B type breaking between 3-5xIn (18-30A) or a C type breaking between 5-10xIn (30-60A).

A C type is generally used for loads with a high inrush current, discharge lighting for example.
Neither will cause a cable to fail during this very short period.

It can be a problem sourcing 6A type B RCBO's from certain manufacturers, Wylex being one example. Recently we had trouble getting anything other than a C type.

Yep I have had the same problem this week Gary, Wylex type B for love nor money or going to the hidden haunts

Having the same problem with crabtree starbreaker rcbos at the moment. All I can get in 10A or 6A is type c and I dont want to fit a type C. It is an upgrade to a lighitng circuit, split so the bathrooms are on an RCBO and rest of the lighting circuit on a normal 10A type B MCB.

I spoke to my local wholesaler and they said they have never sold a type b 10A or 6A for the starbreaker range and most people use type c.

I can see the need for type c if there is discharge lighitng, or non smps transformers used in some lighting as it would stop any nusance tripping if there is alot on the circuit.

In my case I just need to get a type b to complete a job. At the moment its on a regular breaker on the rcd side of the split load. I want to change it out when I come to finish the job and come to final testing to comply with 17th edd as it wont be good if the rcd trips as the upstaris will be without lighting.

Any one else having this problem?

Until quite recently, most people didn't use RCBOs in houses, so I had always thought the "C" types were popular because they were mostly used in industrial installations.

It's time for that to change! Vote with your wallet!

Nobody can get Type B Wylex RCBO's because we've got them all! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back