Is it possible to do a loft conversion in this type of property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Existing house is a 1 bed semi detached house

The property is unusual in the fact that there is a house (number 4)attached to the rear of the property (only separated via the party wall)

Then to the side of my property, there are two neighboring properties (houses 2 &3).

What I want to know is whether it is possible to undertake a loft conversion (i.e with dormer) on a house of this nature? Will planning permission be needed? Ideally i would like 1 bedroom with ensuite

I have measured the height of the loft area and it meets the minimum requirement

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Trusses?

Not a house so no PD.

And what "minimum requirement" have you measured for a loft? Is this a new requirement?
Have you deducted 3-400mm to allow for lowered headroom and raised floor?

Trusses?

Not a house so no PD.

And what "minimum requirement" have you measured for a loft? Is this a new requirement?
Have you deducted 3-400mm to allow for lowered headroom and raised floor?
The property was classified as a freehold house by the surveyor, morgage lender and epc assessor, so that is surprising

But what would you define it as?

Regarding the minimum requirement, I was referring to the ceiling height. Doing a bit of reading, the document stated that the roof height should be at least 2.2m. The roof space meets this requirement

Regarding the minimum requirement, I was referring to the ceiling height. Doing a bit of reading, the document stated that the roof height should be at least 2.2m. The roof space meets this requirement
But have you allowed for raising the floor and lowering the head height?

Under planning rules that may not be a house, despite looking like one

But have you allowed for raising the floor and lowering the head height?

Under planning rules that may not be a house, despite looking like one
i'll have to remeasure.

Who can give me a definitive answer on whether this is considered a house?

The local architect said that I should look at the original planning documents for any restrictions on whether I can create the dormer loft conversion

Having checked the document, there are no such restrictions from the council

I also emailed the planning department to ask whether the property has permitted development right. They responded by saying that the property 'should have permitted development rights'.

Is there anything else, or can I crack on with the loft?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    499.2 KB · Views: 130
If it applies, no idea not a builder. Am guessing it may but who knows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back