Is it possible to fit a pump to the HW supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mains water pressure for cold is fine and would have sufficient force to be used in a shower, sadly the hot water pressure is rubbish and doesn't have enough force to travel the required height.

My bath has a mixer tap with a shower head attachmet, so I was wondering whether it would be possible to put a pump onto the HW supply and increase its pressure?

Yes/no?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a HW cylinder (in the airing cupboard usually), or does your Hot Water come from a Combi Boiler? If it's a cylinder, yes you can fit a pump, if it's a Combi Boiler, then no you can't.

Thanks for the replies.

The system is a gravity fed system with HW tank in the airing cupboard. CH has a pump for it, but no pump for the HW at the moment.

One complication is that the cold water feed is direct from the mains (from what I can tell as there isn't a header tank anywhere).

So, is it okay to put the pump on only the hot water?

Sponsored Links
Santorium said:
My bath has a mixer tap with a shower head attachmet, so I was wondering whether it would be possible to put a pump onto the HW supply and increase its pressure?

Yes/no?

Does the mixer have thermostatic control or is it just an ordinary mixer. If its the later I wouldn't pump your HW. Scenario, you are in the shower, wifey is in the kitchen doing washing up runs hw, pressure drops, you turn up mixer to keep that lovely hot shower. Wifey turns off tap, pressure back, LOTS or really how water, you have a nice trip to A&E with scalds covering most of you bod!

No, mixer doesn't have a thermostat :(

If the pump were connected only to the mixer tap feed, then would wifey's kitchen antics make a difference to the pumped water's pressure?

Similar scenario can occur if a cold tap is opened elsewhere. Especially if the mains is a bit weak.

Aside from an electric or vernturi shower, are there any other reasonable options open to me?

To be honest, I only found out about them yesterday..

Are they shockingly expensive?

Hmm, have just found one on "screwfix" for about £250 which looks pretty good to me.

It has all the installation details there, including pressure requirements. Is there a device I can buy to check the pressure?

Santorium said:
Hmm, have just found one on "screwfix" for about £250 which looks pretty good to me.

It has all the installation details there, including pressure requirements. Is there a device I can buy to check the pressure?
From 1st hand experience I can say that the Trevi Boost is excellent. I seem to remember that it had a technical advantage over the Newteam, but can't remember what that was.

You may find the installation details on the Ideal web site - if not then I can read them to from the documents I have here.

Trevi b ack up ius al;so excellent. I had a customer with one just over 5 years old which wouldn't shut off (new build no documents), I suggested they ring trevi anyway. Trevi sent them free of charge absolutely evrything that is inside their shower, the comlete kit and caboodle. Easy job to change everything, well built kit.

I suppose it was just a thin coating of limescale which had caused the problem, a soaking of all parts in lemon juice might as easily have fixed it.

Anyhow they are a grand company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back