Is it possible to remove skirting in bathroom to replace with filled in plaster instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to remove the skirting on a wall in my small bathroom and have it plastered all the way down to the vinyl floor tiles instead which are already down.

The vinyl tiles were put down right up to the wall before the skirting was put back on.

Behind the skirting is your usual unfinished plastered wall.

Is it possible to simply use a product that I can fill in the gaps along the bottom (while protecting the floor tiles) to achieve this? I'm assuming I need to run sealant between the floor and wall afterwards but will need to be fairly flexible. Is this all feasible?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
You will need a small gap to stop cracks from the floor into the wall.
The skirting should be reasonably easy to pop off, depending on how it’s fixed. Then you could fill and skim the gap in stages.
fit a couple of layers of removable material that you can pull out to keep the gap.

Thanks for your reply.

So if I put down some thin sheeting, say thinnest hardboard to protect the vinyl tiles while plastering then the gap left should be ideal?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back