Is it possible to replace a glued wind-screen yourself ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello all

My w/s has a large crack ( 500 mm+ ) and needs replacement. I am not insured for that because with £ 100 excess and another £ 100 to go fully-comp, I judged it not worthwhile, having only suffered one screen breakage in my motoring-life.

Unfortunately because all French policies have it as standard, the w/s merchants charge two arms and a leg to the private individual without cover: I have just been quoted £ 1 000+ for my Vectra C ( nothing unusual about the screen ) whereas it's £ 400+ in the UK - both quoted from CarGlass.

Given such terrible pricing, I thought i would enquire if it is at all possible as a DIY option. If yes, what would I need to buy in the way of tools and material ?

Thanks in advance and hope you all have a delightfully sunny week-end to enjoy.

Sponsored Links
If it's a bonded screen, then it forms part of the cars structural integrity (AFAIK) so it's not really a DIY job. The quotes you have though sound very steep. Bit more searching for mobile windscreen repair people methinks.

I'm pretty damn sure that if Autoglass etc can do it then so can we althoughI have never tried to be honest. Apart from the special glue they use, which will only be available to the "professionals" because us mere mortals would end up getting stuck to the car and the weird crane thingy they use to move the windscreen to the car I don't think there is any special skill invovled. I have to say purely for the convenience AND the fact that my insurance no claims bonus isn't affected by windscreen replacement I have got Autoglass out to the two broken windscreens that I have had replaced.

I would have thought a niche industry exists to service classic cars and the like that do not use insurance to pay for it and that if you could source a screen someone would fit it for you.

Sponsored Links
That's not a bad idea , Freddy. It might be the case though - on just a couple of searches - that it might not be easy to get a screen. My regular parts supplier - Autovaux - doesn't supply them and they don't appear on E-Bay. Presumably transport problems.

Germany seems to have reasonable prices, but that's a 1 200 km round-trip. Here's hoping that Italy can produce a reasonable deal; that's only 250 km there and back over the Little St Bernard pass, which would be a nice outing with a couple of days hotel to let the bonding set.. It's possible however that they might be on holiday, so have to see what answer I get back

I'm pretty damn sure that if Autoglass etc can do it then so can we
Yes.

Cut old windscreen glue/sealant. They use tool similar to a cheesecutter.
Remove old glue/sealant from bodywork.
Clean and prime bodywork (with whatever the professionals use). They might prime the windscreen as well - can't remember.
Apply correct amount of new glue/sealant. They use electric applicator to squeeze out correct even amount for the speed they go round.
Place new windscreen in correct position. They use suckers to hold and manoeuvre the windscreen.
Thump down the windscreen so it is even (don't break it) and spread glue/sealant.

You will probably be better at it the second time. :)

As above, no need to prime the screen just make sure its spotless.....
Have some masking tape handy to stop the screen sliding down until the sealant sets.
John :)

Just to keep you all up to date: a second French company quoted me £ 550 , however their nearest depot is 300 km round-trip - the joys of living in the mountains ! Finally however my tentative exploration over the border into Italy brought a quote from a national company called Doctor Glass for a princely £ 250: that's also about 300 km round trip to the old Roman city of Aosta via the Little St Bernard. There was something in the local paper about them renovating the famous Hospice on the pass, but it still looks as austere as ever: built to withstand winter-storms more than pose for chocolate-box-type photos.
Hospice PSB.jpg

Just need to look at the news to see what's happening on the pandemic/travel/quarantine front before taking off for a few days in Italy.

Are there still fines and restrictions over there, MW?
I was supposed to be heading for Grindelwald this Thursday :(

John

The only general restriction in France is that you have to wear a mask in indoor public spaces i.e. shops, bars, restaurants, trains, hotels and distance yourselves, however beyond that a good number of towns have added the same restriction for outdoor markets and particularly popular tourist areas e.g. St Tropez, the old port area in Marseille. Fine is € 135 and people are being hit with it.
Switzerland seems to be very similar
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/hom...v/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende.html#-1821684149

Are you going to Grindelwald to hike or climb the Eiger ( or maybe take the train )? I've only been there to ski, but often travelled around Interlake/Thun when I lived in Switzerland. I remember once admiring that monumental hotel in Interlaken - the Victoria-Jungfrau Grand Hotel - and being rather surprised that they could fill so many rooms at such elevated prices in such a small town, even with the Eiger up the road.

I discovered the Berner Oberland back in 1986 and have returned many times since, usually by motorbike and staying in hotels in Wilderswil or Grindelwald.
These days we drive down and take a fabulous apartment in Grindelwald overlooking the Eiger and spend our time going up the mountains either by train or cable car, usually walking on the level to another area to descend back down to Grindelwald.
It doesn’t matter to me whether we have done the routes before - they are unbelievably fabulous!
Favourites have to include Schynige Platte, First and Kleine Schiedegg and Murren on the other mountain flank.
Hopefully I’ll get there next year.

Sponsored Links
Back