Lap top Screen is faulty but what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello every one. my laptop, a Vostro 1700, has developed a fault on the screen. when it is powered up from sleep or cold start the screen appears fine. however it slowly starts turning pink from the right hand side of the screen and occasionally flickers across the whole screen. the pink side is darker than the other side. the pink isn't really strong in colour but more of a hue. altering the brightness using the fn + up/down keys does stop the flickering but the darkness remains on the left hand side.
reading through other sites forums it appears my lap top either has a faulty bulb/s or a faulty lcd invertor.
my questions are; how do i diagnose the actual fault, invertor or light bulb/s, can i change just the bulb or do i have to replace the lcd panel ( £120, invertor approx £15) thanks all, in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be the LCD screen, IMO.
It may be the inverter, or the cold cathode tube, or else it may be a problem with the graphics chip output, or a problem with a connector, but since it starts off OK from cold or sleep, it may be a symptom of overheating. Overheating can affect the voltage stability of the whole system, with unpredictable results.

Laptops are prone to overheating problems, due to having to fit all the components in a small space, and it only takes a little fluff/dust to clog the heat exchanger. Overheating problems often start after only a few months use.

The three components that generate a lot of heat are the main processor, the Hard drive and the graphics processor chip. Most laptops use a heat pipe to transfer heat from both the graphics chip and the main processor to the heat exchanger, over which the fan blows cool air. The graphics chip is invariably further along the heat pipe than the main processor, thus can suffer from the effects of an overheating main processor, even if it is not overheating itself.

Some laptops are easy to remove dust build-ups - the fan assembly is located under one of the covers that provide access to the memory modules or the hard disk.

Other laptops require almost total disassembly to get to the fan and heat exchanger. The Vostro, sadly, appears to fall into this category. Here is a blow-by-blow guide:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-dell-inspiron-1720-1721-dell-vostro-1700-laptop/

Back up any essential data before attempting to disassemble your system!
Your laptop may run cooler under safe-mode conditions to enable a complete back up. Command prompts (DOS screen) do not utilise much graphics processor activity.

Remember that the screws are small and easily lost, so have the right screwdrivers handy, and somewhere to keep all the parts safe. I use a white plastic tray and Blu (or White)-Tac to keep the screws in the right positions and order for replacement. Also, the separated bits of laptops are often quite fragile, and easily damaged when removing and replacing.

Another tip is to take digital photos of key stages of the disassembly and layout of the removed bits, so that if you are interrupted, you can recap exactly where you had got to, and to aid the process of reassembly.

The usual advice is to use a can of compressed air to dislodge the debris. If you have allergies or any respiratory problems, do this only in a well ventilated area. Vacuum cleaners may damage delicate components.

Dust is sticky - a small fine bristle paintbrush will dislodge more dust in crevices than compressed air alone.

Finally, you are probably invalidating any guarantee by opening the case, so make sure that you can't still get a free repair before attempting any of this.

Good luck!

thanks for your help on this problem Fafhrd, i have ordered an invertor off ebay should be here soon so i will try that first. interestingly ( or Not) the display started to lose its colour after login, i suspected the graphics board but googled this new symptom and found suggesions it was related to a silver light update, i restored to a couple of days ago ( the last indows updtae ) and bobs your mothers brother colour restored. it only an hour or two but seems ok for now the screen is still flickering slightly and losing brightness in the lower left but it does seem better.
your over heating theory certainly holds some weight also as the other night the battery would not charcge and the battery light flasshed blue and orange i thought this was a 'battery too hot to charge ' warning ' so turned every thing off and it recharges fine now. i will probably be stripping the thing down after the invertor goes in . thanks for your help ttfn

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the backlight has gone in the screen, you got any pictures of the faulty and it should be easy enough to confirm, changing the ccfl tube can be pretty difficult so sometimes it may be easier to replace the entire screen,. watch out on dell laptops though as you need an original dell LCD and you can not fit compatibles, even one with the same part number will not work as dell have their edid chips modified.

It is possible that it is the inverter and as they are so cheap its worth a go but I would put my money on it being the backlight.

Back