Faulty laptop (not hardware or software forum)

He did say this was stated when the laptop was purchased :rolleyes: He was told that they didn't think it would be covered but gave them the detail on how to send it back :rolleyes:

Do try reading what has been said.
Try to forget any differences we may have on here.

His consumer rights are the shop either replaces or sends back NOT him or his parents. It is within 28 days of purchase if you had bothered to notice.

He can claim faulty product and his money back, stop all the fluffing about.

His own words are something like " Yes it looks like accidental damage", yet in another it is claimed no other damage is noticeable.

Something is incorrect here, anyone in their right mind would demand the shop does something. Not turn around and walk out.

I had a PC not work once after a week, they gave me a new one after 1 hour of insisting my rights.
Turns out there was a known issue, not one being admitted.

Sponsored Links
He did say this was stated when the laptop was purchased :rolleyes: He was told that they didn't think it would be covered but gave them the detail on how to send it back :rolleyes:

Do try reading what has been said.
Try to forget any differences we may have on here.

His consumer rights are the shop either replaces or sends back NOT him or his parents. It is within 28 days of purchase if you had bothered to notice.

He can claim faulty product and his money back, stop all the fluffing about.

His own words are something like " Yes it looks like accidental damage", yet in another it is claimed no other damage is noticeable.

Something is incorrect here, anyone in their right mind would demand the shop does something. Not turn around and walk out.

I had a PC not work once after a week, they gave me a new one after 1 hour of insisting my rights.
Turns out there was a known issue, not one being admitted.

Burden of proof
As it can be difficult for the consumer to prove a fault, the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 took effect in March 2003. This gives consumers more clout by strengthening specific aspects of the SGA.

The regulations say that consumers no longer have to prove that items were faulty at the time of purchase, as was previously the case. This shifts the burden of proof in any dispute to the retailer. Since the regulations came into force, if a fault arises within six months of purchase it will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery.

Read more: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/...consumer-rights-part-the-basics#ixzz1q518DV2U

Clear cut to me, not a leg to stand on.

From your link

Let's clear up one common misconception about manufacturers' guarantees, one that retailers are all too fond of quoting. Your contract of sale is with the company that accepts your money - more often than not, that means the shop you bought it from.

If a retailer tells you that it has no responsibility for returning or repairing goods, it has misinformed its staff. It may be 'company policy' but that phrase has no meaning or significance in law.

As I have been saying.

End of story.

From your link

Let's clear up one common misconception about manufacturers' guarantees, one that retailers are all too fond of quoting. Your contract of sale is with the company that accepts your money - more often than not, that means the shop you bought it from.

If a retailer tells you that it has no responsibility for returning or repairing goods, it has misinformed its staff. It may be 'company policy' but that phrase has no meaning or significance in law.

As I have been saying.

End of story.

Burden of proof. He has stated it was not there at first, the company have offered to replace it and refund costs etc If it's a manufacture fault.

Some stores act act as "agents" and the manufacturer in these cases offer a back to manufacture warranty, it's common. The law has not been broken.

Sponsored Links
So what "IF" it went pop a while later. It is also within 28 days, just read the quote from your link.

He should not pay for anything.

In my experience, it is entirely possible to damage a laptop screen and not show physical marks on the first layer.

Someone has closed the lid on a plug of an adaptor or mouse or something and not owned up to it.

The fact remains the shop investigates, sends off.
Not the end user.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the OP's contract is with the supplier,/retailer, not the manufacturer. Comet can try and hide behind as many conditions as they have employees, but at the end of the day, the onus is on them to sort out the problem.

Not if the customer has broken it - which is obviously the case.

Burden of proof
As it can be difficult for the consumer to prove a fault, the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 took effect in March 2003. This gives consumers more clout by strengthening specific aspects of the SGA.

It is up to the store to provide burden of proof within the time scale of the op's supposed problem.

If you bought the item within the last six months, it’s the trader’s responsibility to prove the item wasn’t faulty when you bought it.

A screen that's cracked that wasn't cracked when the end user got it? I think that would be considered proof that they damaged it, UNLESS there are more examples of screens cracking on their own which could suggest a manufacturing fault.

Also important to note that screens on laptops are usually specifically excluded in the warranty. That said, it is of course worth a try, you have nothing to lose, and Joe stop banging on insinuating his mum is lying, it's a) rude and b) obviously offending him, just leave it.

It is up to the store to provide burden of proof within the time scale of the op's supposed problem.

If you bought the item within the last six months, it’s the trader’s responsibility to prove the item wasn’t faulty when you bought it.

A screen that's cracked that wasn't cracked when the end user got it

Unless the retailer took it out of the box prior to the client leaving the shop,its up to the retailer to prove the goods weren't faulty.

Joe stop banging on insinuating his mum is lying, it's a) rude and b) obviously offending him, just leave it

Joe couldn't upset an apple cart.

Asus are well known for lack of customer support. They released quite a few laptops with faults. Common problems included the Nvidia graphics chip , which turned out to be faulty and usually corrupted the display shortly after the warranty ran out. Retailers knew about this problem and kept referring customers back to Asus, who then offered to replace the mobo (only for the fault to recur) (I know this isn't the problem your having, before anyone jumps in again)
Do some research on the internet for known manufacturing faults with Asus laptops and you'll be surprised that anyone actually buys them.

;) ;)

A screen that's cracked that wasn't cracked when the end user got it

Unless the retailer took it out of the box prior to the client leaving the shop,its up to the retailer to prove the goods weren't faulty.

Joe stop banging on insinuating his mum is lying, it's a) rude and b) obviously offending him, just leave it

Joe couldn't upset an apple cart.

By their own admission the proof is there.

Sponsored Links
Back