Faulty laptop (not hardware or software forum)

Sponsored Links
And your not listening, the store has the first responsibility.
You take it back with the receipt.

Not in the case of a manufacture warranty. Same goes for HDs, memory, graphic cards and on and on and on.

Taken from the consumer direct website.

If you bought the item within the last six months, it’s the trader’s responsibility to prove the item wasn’t faulty when you bought it.

Take it back to Comets,its their responsibility.

It's nothing to do with a warranty - they've broken it and you know it. They know it but choose to believe otherwise.

So my parents are lying to me?

Go away. :rolleyes:

Yes, under the SOGA, the onus is on the retailer to see that they are selling goods fit for purpose.

Not in the case of a manufacture warranty. Same goes for HDs, memory, graphic cards and on and on and on.

You go back to the shop, simples.

Take it back to Comets,its their responsibility.

As any would do.

So my parents are lying to me?
Something is not right if your not prepared to take it back where it was purchased.

The retailer has the first right to make an assessment. They would then take responsibility for the returns and collections.
your going the extended warranty route I believe.
Give the seller the chance to have a say, not bypass.
Your actually breaking consumer law not taking the correct route.

As many find out when they try and play the game.

Sponsored Links
Your actually breaking consumer law not taking the correct route.
Woah slow down, My mother WAS TOLD BY COMET to take this route. WRT returns, COMET dont want all and sundry fetching their faulty ****e back to them, because I bet their footfall would go up by 50% - a lot of extra work for them for zero profit! Staff need paying and theres no money in returns.

So am I breaking the law? Or are Comet breaking the law? :rolleyes:

The first rule of the self employed is NEVER believe a word the customer tells you. People are odd - they have the ability to believe what isn't true.
It's elementary psychology.
But you know that don't you? Hence your reticence to talk to the people in the store.

Beware...watch out for their side swipe were they do not accept liability but offer you a really cheap one in compensation. :(

Take back to store, its just 20 days old FFS

Even the 28 day rule applies............................................

Something here is not right if you WILL NOT GO TO THE STORE

The store wiped their hands of responsibility, a manufacturer will often look into it. A manufacture warranty starts from the moment you purchase and is often the best place to start.

Send it back to the manufacturer.

By the way I have much experience with PC and laptop products. Owned a computer store in Wakefield for years. Manufacturers are the best port of call.

Comet have always been "Infamous" for telling customers to refer back to the manufacturer though. Some years back my dad bought a washing machine from there. Less than a week later it broke down. He phoned them up and was told to take it up with the manufacturer. He then phoned the manufacturers helpline, only to be told, he should take it back to Comet who should replace the faulty washing machine. I went over to his house to help him put the machine in the back of his car to take back. On arrival at Comet, the sales assistant was initially adamant that he should still contact the manufacturer and Comet were not liable once the goods had left heir premises. I told her that under the sale of goods act, goods had to be fit for the purpose they were bought, and that this item wasn't fit for purpose as it couldn't wash clothes. She repeated that it wasn't their problem. I asked to speak with the manager, who should know consumer law slightly better than the staff under him, was told he wasn't available , but she'd authorise a refund this time. (fookin idiot, who did she think she was kidding?)

Anyway, to the OP. Take the lappy back to Comet and don't let them fob you off with excuses. Stand your ground, kick up a fuss if they tell you it's not their problem. Make a lot of noise. Ask,,, nay,, demand to see the manager.

Peaps, if your that experienced then you KNOW within 28 days the place of purchase is THE ONLY FIRST CONTACT.

And what if the customer has broken it?

Sponsored Links
Back