Is it possible to replace Altech model ALTHC007 with The Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd gen)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking to replace my old thermostat Altech (model: ALTHC007) with The Nest 3rd gen. Is this possible? It is connected to a Worcester boiler. All details on the pictures, let me know if you need anything else.

I have no electrical knowledge beside common sense :)

Kind Regards,
E

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_152208.jpg
    IMG_20210505_152208.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20210505_152451.jpg
    IMG_20210505_152451.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20210505_154809.jpg
    IMG_20210505_154809.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20210505_154817.jpg
    IMG_20210505_154817.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
It’s usually possible, the nest thermostat could be placed in place of existing thermostat and put the wires the other end into T1 and T2. Alter all wiring at wiring center into heatlink (to be placed at wiring center also).

It’s usually possible, the nest thermostat could be placed in place of existing thermostat and put the wires the other end into T1 and T2. Alter all wiring at wiring center into heatlink (to be placed at wiring center also).

That's promising! I would need more detailed info as "common sense" does let help me understand your explanation :) Nest Help suggest that 120/130V is needed, but I see mine has 220/230V is that not a game over?

Americans use 120/130vac, so that’s why they suggest it. If your Nest is U.K. version, it’ll need a 230vac supply. You’ll need to be able to safe isolate the electrics. You’ll need some 3 core flex cable for the supply, and then you’ll also need to establish what type of heating and hot water system you have (s-plan, y-plan, w-plan, c-plan). Once we know this we can guide further.

Sponsored Links
Americans use 120/130vac, so that’s why they suggest it. If your Nest is U.K. version, it’ll need a 230vac supply. You’ll need to be able to safe isolate the electrics. You’ll need some 3 core flex cable for the supply, and then you’ll also need to establish what type of heating and hot water system you have (s-plan, y-plan, w-plan, c-plan). Once we know this we can guide further.

More good news :) Thank you! How do I know the heating and hot water system? Should I remove somehow the boiler's front panel?

More good news :) Thank you! How do I know the heating and hot water system? Should I remove somehow the boiler's front panel?
My apologies, it appears you have a combination boiler, in which you only need the heating side of it. Do you run a tap for hot water, or do you have a hot water cylinder?

I was thrown with the dual channel programmer. Position the heat link near your combi, use 5 core heat resistant flex cable, and alter the wiring.

My apologies, it appears you have a combination boiler, in which you only need the heating side of it. Do you run a tap for hot water, or do you have a hot water cylinder?

I was thrown with the dual channel programmer. Position the heat link near your combi, use 5 core heat resistant flex cable, and alter the wiring.

I do not have any additional/separate tanks for hot water.

Post a pic of the nest you have please

It's in the post at the moment, so cannot do it, however I can share a picture that was used by the online store. Also, I have taken a picture of inside the thermostat wire box. There are only those two wires, plus that taped grey (it has same brown, blue, yellow wires) and I have no idea where does it end.

Attachments

• drr9_xlarge.jpg
    drr9_xlarge.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20210505_172502.jpg
    IMG_20210505_172502.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 184
OK you have the correct one, the nest is wireless and connects to a receiver which is wired into the boiler, the actual nest thermostat does not get wired direct to the boiler, the nest uses a USB cable plugged into a mains plug, but you can use those existing wires to power the nest from T1 & T2 at the receiver, if using these you must also have an earth at the thermostat,the installation is not a DIY task as you have to remove the boiler combustion cover so have to be gas safe registered to do so, you would be better with the Nest E thermosta and you can fit this yourself and is very easy to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back