Is it *Safe* to drink hot water from a combi boiler?

Another consideration if you have changed to a combi is the manky old pipework that you didn't change when you converted it over from a tank fed system. Mine is 40 years old and the 1 inch layer of **** that was in the bottom of that tank went through those pipes too.

Probably won't kill you but I'd rather not drink it neat.
Similar to the silt sitting at the bottom of the supply pipes in the street... We still have cast iron pipes in my street, when demand is high in the Summer the colour of the water is quite off putting..... I certainly couldn't wash any white linnen shirts.

Sponsored Links
I've found an old grandee combi boiler manual and in it it says drinking water from the hot tap
is not to be recommended, but I really don't know weather it's safe or not I've always been told not to drink water that's not cat one and hot tap water is cat two.Bob

in some cases, the hot water is safer than the cold. If it has been stored at high temperature, many waterbourne infections will have been killed.

Sponsored Links
Is it safe to drink cold water from a cwsc feed :p:mrgreen:
It actually is classified as wholesome water if it's been setup correctly, is used frequently, isn't too large, is made of the correct materials and has the required components (tight fitting lid/byelaw kit, insulated etc).

I doubt anyone would be drinking it direct from the tap... my thoughts were sticking it in the kettle or pan to bring it to the boil from a higher delta than straight from the cold tap... whilst already filling the sink/using the hot for something else and making a bit more use of the already heated flow! :D

sorry I was forgetting it was a combi.

The "hot water is safer than cold" is a tip for hotels in places where the water is suspect. Especially where they have lots of American guests, hotels often have cylinders full of scorching water, and you may be safer running a hot bath or drinking vessel and waiting for it to cool, than mixing in cold water.

I believe combis also "pasteurise" the water, but the hot period will be much shorter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back