New pressurised hot water tank, is the water safe to drink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new central heating system installed, complete with solar panels and a mains pressure hot water tank. I was wondering if it's ok to drink the warm water out of the tank.

I was thinking during the summer, the tank is likely to be permamently full of free hot water, so wouldn't it save quite a bit of electricity if I filled my kettle from this.

thanks

mike

Sponsored Links
you'll be boiling the kettle anyway. unless you are planning on saying money on doing that to.

Doesn't appeal to me. :(

It won't feel fresh to me after being in a cylinder even though it may be safe to drink.

Make sure this water is kept at 60 degrees or more. :D

Sponsored Links
is it worth it!!!
it cost around 1/4of a p to boil a cup of water from the tap and probably1/6 of a p from pre heated

in other words you will get around 40 cups of coffee for your 10p 1kw unit out the tap or perhaps 60 cups if preheated with the possible taint to the water :oops:

Make sure that there is no water softener in use on the mains water feed to the cylinder. If there is forget it.

It would be Category 2 fluid (ie safe to drink, but altered by temperature), instead of Cat1 (straight from the mains)

Mind, if you were used to water from a domestic tank in the roof space then passing thorough a copper cylinder arguably that is cat3 (think dead birds/insects/plumber taking a pee in it ;) )

DH

dont be disgusting dread nought ;) also is brilliant for killing off germs and bacteria anyways.unfortunately it doesnt have the strength of steel so it wont withstand the extra pressures etc hence the unvented stainless steel cylinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back