Is it safe to run 12v DC LED from 8v AC bell transformer?

In one of your earlier posts you stated "...the bell button contact across the LED with the series resistor shorts the LED out and full current then flows into the solenoid striker for a ding dong chime bell". That implies a different wiring arrangement than I had assumed. The attached diagram is my best guess as to what circuit connections you meant. Please confirm if this is correct.

At a quess, id say that was assumed BEFORE you posted a pic of FIVE terminals on the switch.
Normal 2 connection pushes the led goes off when the push is pushed

Sponsored Links
Higgis, your drawing is exactly as I had described, but since your transformer is now confirmed as ac, what you can do is modify your wiring a little and connect the wire from the bell not to the top LED + post but to the middle post on the switch first, then take a single silicon diode such as IN4001, or even IN4148 from the center post to +post such that the coloured band on the diode faces nearest to LED +ve post and its other leg to the center post. This will give the LED half wave DC and it should run fairly bright, and yes the LED would go off when button is pressed.

(you can add a small value capacitor such as 22uF - 47uF rated at 25V to smooth the LED Power but I would not recommend this as it would smooth the DC power and average LED current may increase and bring it close to its maximum operating tolerance. Without the smoothing cap LED may shimmer a little which no one would notice easily)

Is your switch a push to activate and not latching? of so then it won't be suitable as a bell button.

Is your switch a push to activate and not latching? of so then it won't be suitable as a bell button.
I am a bit puzzled by that question. I have never seen a bell button that was not a push to activate and release to deactivate, i.e. non-latching, and have no reason to believe that I have just bought anything different. Surely no one would want any possibility of a bell being left to sound continuously? Have I misunderstood your post?

Sponsored Links
At a quess, id say that was assumed BEFORE you posted a pic of FIVE terminals on the switch.
Normal 2 connection pushes the led goes off when the push is pushed
Actually, I thought it was impossible to wire the pushbutton with just two wires. The attached diagram shows how I had assumed it needed to be done. This version ensures that the LED stays lit at all times.

Attachments

• Wiring diagram #1 for bell push button with LED.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 107
Actually, I thought it was impossible to wire the pushbutton with just two wires. The attached diagram shows how I had assumed it needed to be done. This version ensures that the LED stays lit at all times.

Im not totally convinced your FIRST 2 wire drawing works, I will leave others to advise on that.
Just noticed your second 3 wire drawing.

As your proberly aware, Normal bell pushes have just 2 wires, a +VE and a return to the chime, the lamp is therefore in series and lit, using the chime as its -ve return, when pressed the lamp goes off and bell rings.

As far as i know YOUR push would normally use 3 wires, +ve, -ve and a return bell wire, though your 2 wire drawing seems may work.
However none of this answers your query about the voltage, sorry.

Last edited:
Sorry I have been out, and now I can ease your confusion, I simply asked if your switch is momentary version and not a latching version and all i tried sayiong was if it was a latching version then it won't be good for obvious reason, that you don't want your bell ringing continuously. I started to doubt this because you said that you liked the brushed stainless steel panel with a switch, so you may not have noticed just in case the switch was not a momentary type. Unfortunately I had to assume that you did not know much about switches, but forgive me if you know quite a bit about them, and I am impressed with your drawing skills. Your diagrams look real professional.

And as for light going out, no real issues there as your finger will be covering most of the button and you won't see much of a light through it, and it uses standard twin bell wire or else you will end up using multicore wire to make your bell light on all the time. There is so much choice here and you decide what you want, its your front door, personally I would accept a two wire version for simplicity.

And even if you do choose a 3 wire version, don't forget to wire a diode in series to provide DC half wave rectified voltage, this will ensure that your LED is not subjected to peak reverse voltage as LED tend to not like too much peak reverse volts unlike normal non light emitting diodes, they can stand tons of peak reverse voltage as that is what their role is, i.e. to pass current in one direction and block in reverse direction and you can get diodes blocking a huge amounts of voltages like 700volts for an IN4007, LEDs do not like blocking more than just a few volts, they get destroyed much more easily when subjected to say anything over 12v in reverse. (Each LED manufacturer specifies that reverse limit)

Im not totally convinced your FIRST 2 wire drawing works, I will leave others to advise on that.
Just noticed your second 3 wire drawing.

As your proberly aware, Normal bell pushes have just 2 wires, a +VE and a return to the chime, the lamp is therefore in series and lit, using the chime as its -ve return, when pressed the lamp goes off and bell rings.

As far as i know YOUR push would normally use 3 wires, +ve, -ve and a return bell wire, though your 2 wire drawing seems may work.
However none of this answers your query about the voltage, sorry.
Only a trickle amount of current flows through the LED, not enough to energise the bell solenoid, when switch is pressed it shorts out LED and its current limiting resistor, then all of the required current flows through the solenoid and hence the bell works. You had your doubts, I have just cleared it.

OK, MikefromLondon, here is my attempt to draw your proposed solution (with optional capacitor shown for completeness). Have I got this right?

BTW, I find AutoCAD LT very useful for this sort of thing. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Attachments

• Wiring diagram #3 for bell push button with LED.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 115
Haggis, You have got it right, as for capacitor any value between say 22uF to 100uF rated to 25v, just observe polarity on electrolytic capacitors, they are clearly marked which side is -ve and usually have one leg shorter than the other (again I am assuming you don't know) so the positive side of cap will go to the positive post of the LED and positive of the diode the (Band on the diode side) . So you should be all ok, 2 wire or 3 wire it is entirely your choice.
Very impressed with this auto cad.

Very impressed with this auto cad.
AutoCAD LT is not too bad (about £300/year IIRC), for those who need it, but, as for 'real' AutoCAD, I think you'd probably be very 'impressed' with the (monthly or annual) cost as well as its performance :)

Kind Regards, John

I just happen to have a 15 year old version of AutoCAD LT that I used to use at work. It still manages to run under Windows 10, with a few quirks, but does all I need for personal purposes. The full fat version of AutoCAD is a 3D program, while AutoCAD LT is 2D only.

I am now going to lie down in a darkened room to ponder all the great advice I have received via this forum over the past 24 hours. The assistance from everyone here is much appreciated :)

Once I have decided what to do, I will let you know the result.

David

Somewhere from £2, perhaps a bit more if you don't want to wait for delivery.

That 15 watt item is grossly overpowered, any 12V supply will do, actual power required less than 1W. Readily available for less than £5.
I almost forgot to thank flameport for highlighting cheap Chinese sources of replacement pushbuttons, should that ever be needed. Some of the photos on that link look suspiciously close to my current pushbutton!

It's now looking much less likely that I will be looking for a dedicated 12v DC power supply for the LED, but thanks also for making the point that over engineered solutions can incur a lot of unnecessary cost.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back