Is it safe to wire from existing wall socket like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was moving one of the washing machine to garage and found out that the builder wired the wall socket from existing like shown in the picture. The wire then goes under the base units into the tall cabinet and fixed to a surface box.

Is this safe to leave the wire exposed (basically lying on the floor under the base unit)? I have some trunking that I can cover the wire, but how about the wall socket, should I change it to a surface box to allow the wire goes out and the socket to be fixed properly?

Attachments

• 487D8E15-ACBB-4DED-B819-D2DC0257994D.jpeg
    487D8E15-ACBB-4DED-B819-D2DC0257994D.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 228
Sponsored Links
Not a massive problem not having trunking - you just need a few cable clips where it gets seen or easily accessible. Don't bother where it lies on the floor under the units.

A surface box where the cable enters the socket as shown is needed as you suggest.

Or a recessed box, with the cable entering it nicely, so the socket faceplate can be screwed back properly.

Either would do.

You can get a sort of collar that you can fit between the socket and back box to provide a cable outlet.

(y)
Not a massive problem not having trunking - you just need a few cable clips where it gets seen or easily accessible. Don't bother where it lies on the floor under the units.

A surface box where the cable enters the socket as shown is needed as you suggest.

Or a recessed box, with the cable entering it nicely, so the socket faceplate can be screwed back properly.

Either would do.

Thanks a lot, good to know it’s not a safety hazard. I’ll cover the wire behind the washing machine with trunking until it goes under the base unit.
You can get a sort of collar that you can fit between the socket and back box to provide a cable outlet.

thank you, looked at amazon and found the spacer they sell, will raise the surface by 12mm and I’ll cut it a bit to allow the wire to go behind, a cheap and quick fix.(y)

Sponsored Links
Have a look to check the connections are good and tight, and that earth sleeving has been used.

Anyone who'd leave the socket like that is likely to not do a good job doing the connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back