safe zone between 2 sockets

If there is another wall between the old socket and the new (two right angles) you could still do it by fitting a socket on the middle wall (to show that there is a cable there).

Plus, don't forget you can go up at the corners (within 1500mm.) so you new sockets can be at a height you want.

He would then have a spur off a spur and it's 150mm, not 1500mm.
oops.gif
Yes, my mistake, sorry can't think of two things at once, would need FCU first.

150mm - typoo.

But, I'll let you off because I know what you mean! ;)
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i have one last question and that is regarding the minor works cert, my question is can anybody d load one an fill it out ? or has it got to be a sparky,
Anyone can download the form, as for filling it out. Someone who has the correct calibrated test equipment, with the practical skill, experience and knowledge of what they are doing can, they do not have to be a registered electrician but be competent in what they are doing
also if some sparkys dont isue them for this kind of work as hardly anythings changing i may let my friend do it thanks
Some sparks don't purely out of ignorance and laziness!
But things will change during your alteration, you will be moving a cable (providing it is long enough after the alteration) During this process, I assume that you will disconnecting the cable from the points it is terminated and maybe sinking back boxes as well as burying cable.
So we now have situation where at least continuity of the conductors, insulation resistance and polarity should be confirmed before going live.

It's a matter of interpretation whether you consider that it is minor works or not!

He says his sockets are same wall, same height and if they're RCD protected then it's simply a case of chasing in a length of cable.
At the very most and that's even stretching it there will only be a MWC completed.
Not sure what you are getting at?
Are you saying that the work does not need any type of certificate or that a MWC can only cover this type of work?
An EIC can also be completed to cover minor works. I wouldn't personally but there is nothing stopping you if you wanted.

[quote="PrenticeBoyofDerry";p="2401269Be careful when cutting to bituman floors you can damage the DPM.
[/quote]so your familiar with the bituman floor? i had a prob a while back when i took the skirting off in one of my rooms they had screeded the bituman floor with the skirting in so when i took the skirting off i had a channel all the way round the room where the skirting was, of course the skirting was rotten where it was on the concrete and trapped between the wall and the screed, to get round that i painted bitumen paint in the channel filled it with sand and cement (waterproofed) and then painted some tanking slurry all the way round , then laid floor would you have done the same or would you have used a diff method?
i know its should be in another forum, but its tied into my electric question
cheers

Sponsored Links
On concrete floors that have been coated with bitumen, the bitumen creates a dpm, that is why your skirts were found to be rotten when removing, as they had come in contact with the concrete base that would not have been damp proof. Generally the old bitumen floors were/are about 25mm deep.
I may have used a different method to form the seal, but if you have coated with bitumen paint and used a waterproof admixture to a concrete pour/infill, should be capable of holding any damp at bay.

if the sockets are rcd protected and on the same wall just chase them in using plastic or steel capping if you wish
as for a minor works cert i will email you a copy that you can print off and fill in , i have left my chip with a minor work cert file on it at a job that i wont be going to for a few days but when i get it i will mail it to you
only thing is if you issue a minor works cert is does require some test results so you will need a tester , personally i would just chase the cable in and not worry , do plug in a socket tester in though to check polarity.

can buy one for about £10 and they are handy for plasterers and similar trades

You don't need to cap the cables, just make sure they are chased and clipped back so your trowel will not damage the cable sheath when repairing wall.
You will find the model forms here.
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-regulations/forms/index.cfm
click on BS 7671:2008 (2011) Amendment 1 forms in download section on the top right of window (page 9 is minor works)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back