safe zone in wall corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking at the wiki, electric able e.g 2.5m should not be run within 150mm of the angle forms of walls i.e corners as it's not a safe zone. Why is that? I take it it's better to not run it in this area or bury it under 50mm of surface.

The reason I ask is its easier to do it within this area but I want to keep the job right.

Also when linking two double sockets next to each other or indeed sockets on the same wall is it best practice to run the able directly between the middle of the sockets as opposed to them being chased underneath and running into the bottom of the sockets?
Thanks ....

Sponsored Links
Within 150mm of a corner of a wall does count as a safe zone according to BS7671, but it should only ever really be used as an absoloute last resort.

Sponsored Links
looking at the wiki, electric able e.g 2.5m should not be run within 150mm of the angle forms of walls i.e corners as it's not a safe zone.
You should read the words in that article, not just look at the pictures and guess what they mean. ;)

Also when linking two double sockets next to each other or indeed sockets on the same wall is it best practice to run the able directly between the middle of the sockets as opposed to them being chased underneath and running into the bottom of the sockets?
The problem with horizontal chases is that you're limited on the depth as they can easily weaken walls. They should not be more than ¹/6 the thickness of the wall or leaf,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back