Is it safe......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it safe to shut off the central heating flow and return pipes on a combi boiler, and still use hot water, as long as central heating is not demanded?

I got a Worcester 240RSF, and would I be right in thinking it needs the central heating system to dissipate excess heat in?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the swift reply, thats another idea out the window then.

Surely this is the same as turning all the TRVs to off though, because hasn't this boiler got a bypass inside? (This may be a load of c*#%p I'm talking)

That's Okay, Yes, Yes, you're not ;)

There's supposed to be one rad without an adjustable valve, so it gets left open. The Mfrs Instrs say it runs the pump to dissipate excess heat after HW drawoff.

Sponsored Links
However Chris, when you go on Vaillant courses their trainers actually tell you its fine to isolate the ch and leave the customer with hot water while you build or work on the system, which can make a huge difference to customer comfort. Ask the techline though and they won't commit. Last Ecotec I fitted was the first time I had the bottle to try. Worked fine while I re jigged the circuit. Wouldn't risk it long term though- the bottle thing again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back