IS it serious?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved ito a two bedroom end of terrace two up two down house,
It has been extended to the width of my part of the house at the back(flat roof),

When I recently looked at the side of the extension that is only normally visible from the neighbours garden I noticed that the side wall is Bare breezeblock with no rendering , also the mortar looks to be very badly applied and one breezeblock is broken in half with what looks like paper wedged into the hole.
The other house has a lean to extension so you cant get to this side of the wall only the last 3 and a half foot of it .

The joint between the original brickwork and the extensions breezeblock appears to have some sort of black roll material wedged in between.It looks like a cowboy job to me but so far no damp or anything like that.
Is this a recipe for disaster waiting to happen, and if they pull down there old lean too like i think they ill, do you think i should skim the breezeblocks with some render to seal them up.

Any help or ideas much appreciated ;)

Alex W

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say it's serious on the rendering side but I would be more worried on the lintel size if it was done by cowboys.I would go down to your local planning dept and find out if a drawing plan was made,if so, then ask them how come they passed it without the rendering.If there was no drawing plan,they will be able to advise you further,might mean getting legal advice.

If most of it is difficult to get to, then hopefully the weather can't get at it either! Agree with previous comments but it might have been sprayed with a silicon based waterproofer. Water will bobble on it if this has been done.
Certainly any major cracks need mortaring and you could spray with silicon. Definitely render when you can and get some good advice before doing it yourself. render is nomall two coats...

Sponsored Links
Normally if you cannot get to wall for rendering,the wall should be done with finish facing brickwork so no rendering need to take place.Don't know why it was done with breezeblock in the first place !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back