Is it worth adding additional cores when buying SWA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning a 30m SWA cable run to a detached outbuilding. I’ve calculated 4mm2 cores are sufficient (2.5% voltage drop at 4kW so I can run a small heater).
A small consumer unit will be installed probably 2 circuits (lighting and one or two sockets).

I already have a conduit buried and don’t want to pull the cable more than once I like the idea of redundancy but am not sure if it achieves anything… realistically how many cores?

Sponsored Links
What is going to happen to it to cause you to need the extra cores? It will survive happily in the conduit for more years than you will need it.

What is going to happen to it to cause you to need the extra cores? It will survive happily in the conduit for more years than you will need it.
I’m more thinking would there be any scenario where having more is useful, than damage. I’m not going to switch to 3 phase :) But is there any other common case I might need an extra wire?

I might add Ethernet but that’s totally separate. All I could think of was a control wire but for what!?

If you have ducting in place then having spare cores is largely a waste of money as a replacement cable could be pulled through

Sponsored Links
For a run of 30m would I need a separate bonded Earth at the outbuilding out of interest?
Not a job for me but I like to know, and I can’t find the rules for this

Probably.

What’s your supply earth type
I am not sure I even understand the question properly ;) we have an old dedicated overhead cable running 100m up our drive from the road (just to our house) and a brand new meter/supply was fit ~3 years ago off the pole (they replaced the cable to the meter and everything). We have the main consumer unit coming off that which has an earth rod sunk into the ground on the exterior wall of the building (so it is accessible).

I might add Ethernet
Tape it to the SWA when you pull it
All I could think of
If your needs (loads) change in future you have spare current carrying capacity?

Personally I wish I'd run cat6 to every light switch and socket in my house when I built it. Only woulda taken a day but the number of times since I have wanted some control for smart home auto / networking in an awkward spot...

Last edited:
If you don't fit a cable with spare cores (or larger CSA), consider pulling in a draw rope with the cable for future use.

If you don't fit a cable with spare cores (or larger CSA), consider pulling in a draw rope with the cable for future use.
It's a fine theory but whenever I've tried that the pull string/rope has become twisted around the cable being pulled through with it, with the result that it became useless for subsequently pulling other cables through.

Am I the only person who has experienced that problem?

Kind Regards, John

It's a fine theory but whenever I've tried that the pull string/rope has become twisted around the cable being pulled through with it, with the result that it became useless for subsequently pulling other cables through.

Kind Regards, John
You are not alone...
there are ways to reduce the problem, plaited cord rather than twisted rope for a start

You are not alone... there are ways to reduce the problem, plaited cord rather than twisted rope for a start
I'm not sure that the type of 'rope' would make all that much difference. The problem is that if the cable+rope rotate by much more than 180° whilst being pulled in together (something which seems almost inevitable with 'simple pulling') one is effectively sunk! To avoid thee problem requires prevention of axial rotation of the cable+rope pair during pulling, and I think that's easier said than done!

Kind Regards, John

Was the ducting big enough?
Tight corners on the ducting
was the draw cord made of?

Never struggled with this myself

I've not had a problem either, but it does help to keep them separated on the input. It's also possible to blow or suck draw cords through after, starting with a light weight one that you use to pull a heavier cord through, driven by a blockage such as a carrier bag. Depending. The size of the duct you may get away with even a domestic hoover or compressor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back