Is it worth even screwing these brackets in with these screws?

It's at an awkward angle, here's the first bracket.
20210410_230658[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
and ...another view;

20210410_230707[1].jpg

What's the best way to put these screws/brackets in? I put one screw in half way then worked on the other screw until it was half way then finished them both off. I didn't use a drill I doubt that my drill would fit such an awkward angle.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be using power tools to put them in anyway, I'd be concerned about over-doing it going in to chipboard. 1/4" ratchet handle would be ideal.

Sponsored Links
Agreed. A long screwdriver is the best way to go

I've completed the job, 8 brackets in via screwdriver.

Believe it or not after all that I tried to slide the drawer back in and it wouldn't go without a big tight shove. Unbelievable i didn't see that coming and I thought I'd miscalculated the job i.e expanded the size of the drawer so it's too big to go in.

Somehow now it's not sliding in and out as easily as it was when the dowels were dodgy....but maybe I've now got it back to the way it was built initially. Either way it's working!

One other thing i learned, i think i should've glued the brackets to the corners first to keep them tightly positioned in the corners and then put the screws in.

Easy enough mistake to make if you don't deal with fixings every day. We order-in every 2 to 4 days, generally 10k or so loose screws and 15k collated nails and pins at a time, but also some collated screws, bolts, TEK screws, concrete screws, coach screws, resin anchors, etc. Everything comes in boxes of different sizes and sometimes things go awry - which is why it took us 6 months to use up one particular size of screw (the order was for 100 boxes of a given size, I.e. 10 000, not a single box of 100) This project eats stuff, so fixings always get used in the end - eventually

I've put the brackets in.

Any idea why it's now not as smooth when i pull the drawer out? In fact i have to apply a little bit of force to get the drawer back in it's grooves.

Thanks.

Did you replace the dowels before adding the angle plates?

What I meant was were the dowels in when you assembled it? If yes, have you measured side to side both front and rear and both the diagonals? If your drawer is out of square then you'll get different dimensions

What I meant was were the dowels in when you assembled it? If yes, have you measured side to side both front and rear and both the diagonals? If your drawer is out of square then you'll get different dimensions

I never assembled it I bought it in a charity shop second-hand.

Anyway it seems ok , just a bit stiffer than before when i open it.

I think what must have happened is when i put the brackets on the force applied with that has altered the size of the drawer.

See, I was right, you really don't know your own strength!

Seriously, though, that was why I suggested checking the dimensions. It is easy to inadvertently spread the sides when adding repair brackets

See, I was right, you really don't know your own strength!

Seriously, though, that was why I suggested checking the dimensions. It is easy to inadvertently spread the sides when adding repair brackets

But you don't know until you put the brackets in if it's going to alter the dimensions. It's slightly tearing the wood in the grooves of the cabinet, i could sand that down and varnish it and it should smooth out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back