Is it worth getting a vent for a tumble dryer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am picking out a tumble dryer to buy, choice is between vented or condenser model.. Vented ones might be best... and i want a quiet one.

It would go in the kitchen, with its back facing the outide wall..

Sponsored Links
Yes.

You can hire a core drill, or a plumber or small builder will probably have one.

If the drier you buy has a side exit for the vent hose, as well as one at the back, you do not have to line up the holes perfectly.

You will need a plastic duct (pipe) to line the hole in the wall, and I recommend a cowl vent on the outside for weather protection.

Yes.
You can hire a core drill, or a plumber or small builder will probably have one.
If the drier you buy has a side exit for the vent hose, as well as one at the back, you do not have to line up the holes perfectly.
You will need a plastic duct (pipe) to line the hole in the wall, and I recommend a cowl vent on the outside for weather protection.

Thank you. I take it you suggest a vented dryer is better. If you have experience of that, I would be happy to hear it.

How will the cowl vent be fitted, since I am on an upper floor?

Vented ones waste all their generated heat by throwing it out via the vent duct to heat the open air.

Condensing ones put all the generated heat into your kitchen so reducing the central heating burden.

Seems like no contest to my mind and that's after having been involved in the fitting of two condensing ones.

If you live upstairs and there isn't already a vent hole why are you even considering that route.

Sponsored Links
Vented ones waste all their generated heat by throwing it out via the vent duct to heat the open air.

Condensing ones put all the generated heat into your kitchen so reducing the central heating burden.

Seems like no contest to my mind and that's after having been involved in the fitting of two condensing ones.

If you live upstairs and there isn't already a vent hole why are you even considering that route.

Strong words. I will have decided to go with a condenser. Seems there are very efficient models.

The problem I have found with condensing machines are:

1) The majority of the heat is still latent within the waste water that either collects in a tank, or if you have the option, is pumped down a drain pipe which you can connect to the drain. You dont really want to be emptying a tank every load, so look for one with a drain pipe option.

2) As I mentioned, the heat is usually contained within the waste water, so the majority of it [heat] will be lost anyway. Rather than it being vented outside, it is just going down the drain. To recover all the useful heat to maybe heat the room, you need a condensing model with a heat pump. These are far more expensive and the higher efficiency is not worth the outlay in my opinion (at the moment).

3) I have also found that condensing dryers still leak water vapour. So they can increase the humididty within the room the machine is in. I have to open a window or have the extractor on whenever I have used condensor models. Yes this heats the room a small amount, but this is at the cost of higher humidity, which you have to remove.

4) Condensing models, or rather, all the models I have used, take far longer than vented machines to dry the clothes. I do not know why this is, but it has always seemed to be the case. Maybe it is because a vented dryer can evacuate the humid damp air from inside the dryer immediatly, I don't quite know.

5) Vented dryers are very cheap. You may pay double for a decent condenser dryer.

Yes, it is not the most green, but if I had a choice based on using both, I would go with vented.

Actually I would go with gas powered vented, but that is another story. In the absence of gas.....electric vented.

Sorry to confuse you.

Only ever fit a condensing drier as a last resort.

They are inefficient and pants at drying clothes.

This Samsung is rated A++ condenser dryer. And I checked the which review- good at drying. Lots of praise.
http://ao.com/product/DV70F5EOHGW-Samsung-Condenser-Tumble-Dryer-White-27053.aspx

White knight are the only ones making gas dryers. Seems highly rated although it's rather ugly. However, nothing but praise for this brand I've never heard of. Which rated it even higher overall than the Samsung, but both are excellent/recommended.
http://direct.asda.com/White-Knight...ding---freestanding/001551205,default,pd.html

I think I just need to see them in the flesh to decide.

Just changed from a vented to a condensing. Beko model on offer from Curry's for £199. We're very pleased with it. Half as noisy as the old one and dries very quickly. It does have a larger drum - 8kg instead of 6kg - which prob makes it more efficient.

Half as noisy as the old one and dries very quickly. It does have a larger drum

You will find this applies to any decent new appliance which replaces an old one.

Half as noisy as the old one and dries very quickly. It does have a larger drum

You will find this applies to any decent new appliance which replaces an old one.
Not so. We nearly bought a Hoover DYC893B but after looking at one working we ruled it out because it was far too noisy.

Actually, this is not always the case, especially with tumble dryers.

http://www.top10energyefficiency.or...nd-new-highly-energy-efficient-appliances-413

This is because a 2kw tumble dryer from the 1990s will use the same amount of energy as a 2kw dryer today.

As the energy required to evapourate water has not changed since the 1990s :LOL:, then I am not suprised standard machines have not got any more efficient.

It is only those electric machines with heat-pumps which are most efficient and cheap to run. Or for gas, as an energy source, cheapest to run.

I took apart a combined washer dryer. it was unvented so I guess it was a condensing type. The nasty thing about it was that all the fluff that you see in the filters and the hoses of a vented type was built up around the fan and heater assembly. I wonder why there was no fluff filter and how many years it would take before it caught fire. To get to the area of concern would have been a major job - at least 2 hours, so hardly an annual maintainance item!!
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back