Is it worth installing a Visonic Powermaster system as a DIY install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen somewhere that the system makes more sense as a monitored solution - I don't want to invest and install a new system only to find I don't get half of the benefits because its not monitored.

Due to a house rennovation I'm replacing the old Response wireless alarm and want to fit something "proper" this time around! Currently deciding between a Pyronix Enforcer with Home Control and the Visonic Powermaster 30.

Requirements are pretty straight forward:
  • Enough PIRs to cover two floors
  • Enough contacts to over all entry points and garage doors (its an internal garage)
  • Hidden panel with remote keypad(s) for arm/disarm (really don't want another big panel stuck to the wall of our newly decorated hall!)
  • Ability to set up the usual full and part set zones
  • Panic button(s)
  • Remote key fob capability
  • Prox tag capability
  • External wireless bell
  • Internal sounder
  • Some form of comm's for notifications*
*This last one is the one that brings the most contention. Stuff like HomeControl looks good, however if Pyronix give up on the service its useless. I'm thinking it probably makes more sense to go with a control panel that has either GPRS or IP based connectivity (ideally both to give failover if possible) and connect the panel up to my home network and/or get a security SIM for texts. I only want basic notifications for any alarm states whilst away from the property.

I know that you can get PIRs with IP cameras built in for the Visonic system, which is an option for the future, however I don't believe I would be able to utilise it without a monitored solution? Or am I able to set this up for myself? That could be the clincher, as the extra outlay on the Visonic Powermaster with PIR cameras would be offset by the lack of need for an additional CCTV solution.

I also like the fact that I can add CO and smoke detectors to the Powermaster system, which means I can replace the current devices as and when they expire.

TIA for any help or advice on this.

Sponsored Links
Fair point - house renovation was probably too strong a term. Wired isn't an option unfortunately due to a number of rooms already being recently plastered, decorated, new flooring, etc.

I would go with the pyronix enforcer every time.
The power max is hard to understand there terminology very Americanised
with thing like partitions
The enforcer is easy to install and this forum will give you lots of help if required

Sponsored Links
If the pain of install is worth it (i.e. I'll end up with a better, more flexible system) I'm willing to work through that pain!

I guess the key thing I really need to understand is if the Powermaster kit enables a home user/installer to access the VoD capabilities and any remote management (I see they do have an iOS and Android app available) if it isn't bought through an official installer and therefore doesn't have a maintenance agreement in place.

Anyone done much with Powermaster systems?

Ive fitted powermaster 30 and the enforcer home app and for DIY install, I would go with Hope app wifi........

Speak with Max on 01291 421111 as they sell all of these alarms...he'll give you straight talk advice!

Oo and tell him I sent you :)

Thx Matt

Thought I best update this with what I ended up doing...

I now have a fully working Powermaster 30 G2 based install with PIRs, camera PIRs, contacts, internal/external siren, etc. From the moment it was delivered to the point it was all installed and commissioned took me 3 full days working around my day job. I'd say it was a lot easier than I expected. I'm currently using a 6month trial of the Powermanage subscription supporting remote VoD and email notifications. I'll probably end up taking out a long term subscription and update the settings to get real time alerts through the app.

I'd thoroughly recommend the Visonic stuff to anyone thinking about DIYing it.

Thought I best update this with what I ended up doing...

I now have a fully working Powermaster 30 G2 based install with PIRs, camera PIRs, contacts, internal/external siren, etc. From the moment it was delivered to the point it was all installed and commissioned took me 3 full days working around my day job. I'd say it was a lot easier than I expected. I'm currently using a 6month trial of the Powermanage subscription supporting remote VoD and email notifications. I'll probably end up taking out a long term subscription and update the settings to get real time alerts through the app.

I'd thoroughly recommend the Visonic stuff to anyone thinking about DIYing it.

Gareth = have you been happy with the system? Did you need to go through a third party to subscribe to powermanage service? What does powermanage actually do? Is there someone actually getting alerts and then contacting you or is it just a central server that automates response to incidents to you via their app/email and calls etc?

Hi, yes I'm happy with it. Other than replacing 2 sets of batteries (1 PIR and 1 keypad) the system has pretty much just worked. I subscribe to the PowerManage service through Sapphire Alarms for a very reasonable price. All this does is act as a bridge between you (a mobile app) and your alarm system - there is no way to connect an app direct to your install. It just proxies any notifications.
However, I'd say the remote PowerManage capabilities are probably the weakest set of features - its pretty slow to connect, suffers bad latency and doesn't always work with VoD. The notificiations via email work well and are immediate straight from the alarm box via my home broadband. My recommendation would be to set up a GSM based notification as part of the system local to the install, as I suspect whilst being a bit low-tech, that would be more reliable. I installed a broadband connection and if I did it again, I'd swap that for GSM.
Having said that, Sapphire have recently migrated to a new host for their PowerManage service and I've not tested it in anger yet (not migrated my set up) which could improve the performance.
And to follow up some of the previous comments - I agree the semantics and terminology with the Visonic is a bit off for us English speakers, however its mostly pretty straight forward to install, configure and manage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back