Is it worth replacing an old working boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently purchased a house with a system boiler + vented tank heating system, that seems like it's in pretty good order. Boiler is a floorstanding Potterton Kingfisher (42kw i think) and tank is a standard copper tank with insulation.

The controls are a bit old so I could replace those with Hive, but am in 2 minds whether to keep this setup or install a new boiler + unvented cylinder in a different location (garage). I have already checked water flow/pressure and it seems ok.

So would you replace an old system that seems to be working fine, and might do so for the next few years, or would you replace with a new system? I know the new boilers are a lot more efficient as well, but for a an old house with bad insulation, would a new boiler really save that much money?

Sponsored Links
I am not boiler expert, but if it ain't broke ....

Money probably better spent on insulation. If your house is like mine, the radiator and hot water pipes run under the suspended floor and have little insulation on them. So, insulate the floors,walls and ceilings, and lag the pipes. By time you've done all that, the old boiler might have packed up anyway (unless you work a lot faster than me)!

great boilers and bombproof , spend the money wisely on insulation and check what grants are available

If you have already bought, then you may have missed an opportunity to use it as a bargaining chip for a reduction. Solicitors and agents are fair game for the efficiency blurb and obsolecence. As already stated, these are bombproof and reliable, but a cast iron boiler is never going to match efficiency levels from low water content condensing gas boilers. If you have a recent service report on your boiler, compare it with the specification of a new boiler, deduct a percentage for overstating and, as the Americans say, 'do the math'. It can take a long time to recoup the cost of a new installation. Personally, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sponsored Links
but for a an old house with bad insulation, would a new boiler really save that much money?

If the current boiler were 65% efficient and new boiler was 90%+ efficient, the more gas your property needs to heat it, then more you would save...

However, if your insulation is 'bad' the biggest saving would come from improving the insulation.

How long are you planning on owning the house ? Pay back time will be a number of years .
the main thing i say to people is about comfort levels a kingfisher although a great old reliable boiler is a big lump of metal to heat up and rads etc can take a good 45 mins plus to get to temp modern boiler will have the rads up to temp in about 10 /15 mins so you get the benefit quicker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back