Is it worth running cable for a future rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I'll be doing work redecorating from top to bottom, I was wondering if it was worth running cable for any future rewire that might be required.

My gut says that most electricians won't trust cables run by someone else, especially if they can't see the whole run - in which case to inspect they might as well have done the work themselves.

I thought I'd check!

Sponsored Links
Figured as much! Probably time to get the wiring inspected and consumer unit changed before the decorating.

Thank you. :)

Not to mention the fact that your cable may no longer be acceptable in the future. We have already seen the change from rubber to PVC, imperial to metric, and more recently core colours.

Sponsored Links
That's another good point. I have a suspicion that when I get some quotes for a new CU, they're going to recommend a rewire anyhow. It's all original cable, and the lighting connections in the loft were truly truly awful.

Christ knows what lurks beyond.

We have already seen the change from rubber to PVC, imperial to metric, and more recently core colours.
One of which is a minor contrvention, easily remedied by identification at terminals; the others are fine.

Rather than running cables, I suggest running cable routes, with draw strings, and taking photos of the position of them. Compared to cable, steel conduit is relatively cheap, and plastic even cheaper, but you'll need to take note of safe zones and joist/wall cutting restrictions as mentioned in the wiki and elsewhere.

certain countries in Europe use triple cable with the earth conductor insulated and coloured throughout.

The house was only built in the late 70's; I'm less concerned about the original wiring than I am the later alterations. I've found quite a few choc boxes that crumbled the second they were disturbed. One bedroom had down lights that were directly under a mass of insulation, with no gap at all.

Great advice regarding cable routes; thank you. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back