cables in shallow ceiling depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm rewiring an old cottage where the joists have been exposed as a feature and plasterboard is being fitted between the joists which only leaves 50mm between the ceiling and the floorboards. The regulations require unarmoured cables run through the joists to be 'at least 50mm from top or bottom as appropriate'. It is of course impossible to achieve 50mm both above and below. What would a professional electrician do here? In theory it looks as though it has to be in conduit but I can't believe that this would actually happen?! :confused:

Sponsored Links
the reason is so that if some one decides the flor board is loose and puts a screw through it .....and your cable, conduit it is then (or something that will give mechanical protection)

How old is it? Have you checked to make sure there are no restrictions on the type of wiring that can be installed in the property? I've used pyro (mineral insulated copper sheathed cable) in some circumstances where there are bare joists (and churches). Expensive, but it's superb cable (very small, excellent current carrying capacity, easy to conceal, earthed metallic covering), though a bit over the top if you don't need to use it.

If you take the regs word for word, they don't make allowance for the plasterboard not being mounted on the bottom of the joist ;) . If you get stuck, notch the joist and use a safeplate to cover the slot, this is also allowed.

522-06-05

Think were going to have to send every-one the IEE wiring regulations........I see wiring reg and I cannot help but look

Sponsored Links
It was built about 1860 and I've already taken out the gas lamp pipes, original black wiring and later but still old rewire in T+E. As for Safeplates, this sounds just the job, particularly as the joists are already notched from the previous wiring. Are Safeplates an actual product? If so, where do I find them or do I make them out of something? Thanks for the help guys.

See this for Safeplates.I normally make my own out of strip of steel 1/8" thick and cut off the lenght to guarantee nothing will go thru' it,but need chopping out the joists to fit them where'er you don't with Safeplates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back