A rewire and a DIYer runnign the cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick question to any one who works as a sparky doing house rewires.

Would it markedly reduce the cost of the job to the client if they were to run the cable themselves?

Are sparkies open to this or in your experience would you not work on a job in this case?

Are there part-p regulations relating to the running/location of cable that a DIY-er would not be aware of thereby making this a non-starter?

If the latter is the case is there anything the client can do to reduce the cost of a rewire like sourcing the materials themselves etc?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
you could talk with a spark who will be doinf the rewire. If you have some knowledge of circuits and what you want in your house, then it is possible for you to do the chasing and wiring, but it is always a good idea to talk with the spark first. re: part p, the spark will do all the testing etc., so it is not a problem so long as he is OK with it.

Most sparkys would want to supply the materials themselves unless they were specials (eg lights) as he knows what make(s) of materials he can trust/work with/guarantee.
As for running in cables any sparky who is certifying work will need to be 100% sure that everything is in order so having to check a clients work would amount to somewhere near the cost of doing it himself plus putting right any errors.
What would help is making sure areas are clear, floorboards loose/lifted and maybe chasing in walls or making good afterwards.These might be tokens towards a more amicable price ;)

I would be happy for the customer to lift floor boards, chase walls out, flush boxes in, make good etc, but I would want to run cables myself. It is not to make my self more work, but it is easy to damage a cable just by pulling it in, which even if cables are on show for me to see may not be visible.

I have to put my name to the installation, and if something goes wrong then it is my fault.

I'm not being rude, or prejudging you, bit in my experience the type of customer who wants to run the wires them selves often think the know more than they really do, and may make silly mistakes which take longer to put right than it would have done if I had wired it to start with. (I know this is a bit of a generalisation though)

Others may have different opinions, and as I say this is just my personal opinion, so check with the spark you are actually going to employ.

<edit> Bah!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your responses.

I understand what you mean by wanting to be 100% happy before putting your name to a job. If owt goes wrong and you have signed it off, it is your repuatation that is in jeopardy.

I think what you suggest about lifting floorboards and chasing our the walls etc will be worth discussing with the people we get into quote for the job.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back