is my 3 port motorised valve faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding my honeywell 3 port valve. My hot water works but heating doesnt. If i manually move the valve lever the heating fires up. When i let go of the lever it moves back to the middle and heating goes off. If i wedge it in place the heating comes on and stays on. So I guess my 10 year plus valve is kack. Do I need to change the whole motorised valve or could it be just the motor that's faulty. I assume when I turn heating on this lever is pulled across by magnetism to flick the microswitch so not sure. Im good with electronics but never dealt with my heating system. I can confirm the boiler programmer thermostat and pump all work ok.

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding my honeywell 3 port valve. My hot water works but heating doesnt. If i manually move the valve lever the heating fires up. When i let go of the lever it moves back to the middle and heating goes off. If i wedge it in place the heating comes on and stays on. So I guess my 10 year plus valve is kack. Do I need to change the whole motorised valve or could it be just the motor that's faulty.
It could be the motor or a loose/broken connection somewhere.

I assume when I turn heating on this level is pulled across by magnetism to flick the microswitch so not sure.
No. The motor moves it.

Im good with electronics but never dealt with my heating system. I can confirm the boiler programmer thermostat and pump all work ok.
How have you tested these?

It's probably the motor.
They can be replaced if you can be bothered, the item is most likely this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p68222

On most valves a replacement head / actuator can be purchased, which is far easier than fitting a new motor into the existing one, which may well have other issues aside from the failed motor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys. I checked wiring from stat and programmer and and happy with those plus it all works when i push the lever hard over. I will strip the head down tomorrow and see what I find. Wasn't sure what the lever does when if working correctly. When heating is on should it move over and stay over whilst heating is turned on?

Here's a brilliant guide from someone on another forum on this site. Run through all the steps and it should give you a good idea where the problem lies.

Wasn't sure what the lever does when if working correctly. When heating is on should it move over and stay over whilst heating is turned on?

Yes, while the stat requests the heating on.

If hot water and heating is required (as per the stats) then the lever should be in the middle.

When the heating is on and stat requesting heating on, you could put an neon screwdriver on the orange wire terminal block. If it lights its a good sign the wiring and controls (other than the motorised valve is ok) /hides ;)

Or use a DVM if you have one on volts ~
Put probes on orange & blue wires. Should get 240V

If i wedge it in place .
There is a sort of groove that the lever sits in to temporary lock it over rather than wedge it, you push the lever over then move it either up or down into the groove, then let the spring pull it back slightly to seat it in the groove.
To release it push it over again and the lever springs out and returns

As for the lever if i lock it in place the heating will not work so if i push it a little harder it comes on. Hence the wedge. If it moves back just a little the heating fails

Yeah they are designed to do that.

The lever is for system drain/fill and not to activate the micro switch/boiler

I have 240 between when probe white and brown wire with dvm. When i move the lever hard to turn heating on voltage drops to 0 between the two

Just probed the syncron motor and when heating turn on i have 240v but no noise or movement from motor when turn off 0 volts when i force the lever over to fire the boiler the 2 blues are still 240 so I guess the motor is screwed. Do I replace motor which looks easy or the whole head as its an old unit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back