Is my bonding wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading a few posts on here recently about bonding of pipes i decided to look at how my kitchen pipes were bonded.

They have earth clamps with the "do not remove" tag and have 6mm earth wire connected to each pipe and then I've followed it back to connnection in an earth terminal in the CU.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is incorrect. Or have i got the wrong end of the stick, how should this be done?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
there should be a 10mm G&Y from the main earthing terminal to the metal water and gas pipe where it enters the house (or comes up through the floor) on the house side of the main stop-cock and meter, within 600mm and before the first Tee

there is no need to bond the other pipes to it, this is an obsolete method but still often found.

have a look at //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:earthing_supply_types_and_bonding

Indeed in the kitchen, no "appliances" (sinks etc) need bonding, but if the rising water main surfaces in the kitchen, this must be bonded only back to the MET, only by a single uninterrupted conductor. This applies wherever the water main rises, not just in the kitchen.

The rules are different for bathrooms as there are wet naked bodies about. This doesn't happen quite so often in the kitchen. At least in our house. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hmm, looking at mine,

Plastic blue water pipe coming up in kitchen, combination of copper and plastic fittings from this, all copper bonded together with the final piece of copper having 10mm g&y back to the MET.

Is this wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back