Is my builder cutting corners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm close to the end of a pretty successful extension, but there are a few bits and pieces I'm uncomfortable tackling my builder on without a bit of background knowledge.

Specifically, the 'boxing in' of the cistern in our cloakroom isn't quite finished as it'll have a cupboard on top, but as it stands there's a really strong breeze blowing in from behind the plasterboard. The wall you can see in the photos is a party wall with next door's conservatory, and they haven't touched it. It's still bare and exactly as it appeared when the old plaster etc was stripped back.

I would have assumed that the external wall should have been finished, boarded and sealed as the other walls have been, then the boxing would be put in front. What we have is a very crappy looking wall that will eventually be hidden when the cupboard goes on top of the opening. Out of sight, out of mind.

If this cold air is rushing into the boxing, then it's also behind the plasterboard adjoining the boxing (as the breeze emerging from a nearby open light socket demonstrates) and surely this defeats the point of insulated walls? The boxing is to cover the cistern for aesthetic reasons, so skipping the wall finishing seems wrong to me.

Be great to hear your thoughts in his approach. Many thanks. Andy.

Sponsored Links
The photos aren't too clear but I think I get your idea and concerns. Firstly if you have air being drawn through you need to either get them to rip out what they've done and seal up the wall properly. If this isn't feasible then you need to at the very least get them to insulate all the pipes PROPERLY to the cistern- using external climaflex on the pipes (15/25mm NOT 15/13mm) making sure it's tightly compressed at any ends and taped tight especially around bends so none of the pipe is visible or open to the cold. Then get some insulation, mineral wool would do, and pack all the voids to stop the draughts as best you can, you can feel if you're "winning" as you do it.
It looks like an electrical cable there though, maybe best to get advice on packing any insulation around that it may be an overheating/fire risk and may need shielded?
Our house was built from scratch with these problems, being a box framed floor section on mini stilts with poorly fitted plywood underside it leaks like a sieve, the air being drawn through any gaps and into the house through service/utility holes/ducts, and we had to have our water supply cut and re-plumbed above the floor level because all the pipes were freezing when located below floor level in the last two harsh winters.

Definitely raise it with them and tell them you're not happy and it's not acceptable, which it isn't. They should be doing their best to eliminate any draughts as they proceed.

Sponsored Links
I would be relucant to cover the electrical cable that seems to be running in the boxing out with insulation, as im sure this wont comply. If I remember the sizing is based ona formula that isnt correct with insulation over the top, you can fix it to a batten however to disapate heat...I digress.

In my opinion the wall should have been boarded out, insulated and made good before the boxing out. Thats the belt and braces job, obviously this would require a lot more effort and a lot more cost and will be hard to expect now its done.

It may be possible to put some solid insulation into the void, all of this is a bit of a pain as you could in the future decide to remove the cisten and boxing out and then be presented with a wall that needs a lot of work.

I wouldnt be happy with that job

How do you access the syphon in the bottom of the cistern which goes into the flush pipe and into the rear of the toilet?

There should be an access panel or when the syphon needs to be changed, which it will do. Your only option is to start removing tiles.

I know as I get called to a lot of properties where everything is hidden, all looks lovely but not when I have finish removing wall tiles with no spares.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back