Is my damp solution right here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow built on a hill. It has a block and timber (suspended on block work) foundation.

I can crawl around easily underneath. All is dry EXCEPT at the back where some water seeps through in very wet weather. This then causes smell of damp and condensation in one small bedroom.

My idea to overcome this is rather than try to add a concrete base to raise the level-hard to access etc-is to fix plastic sheeting beneath the wooden floor boards. So long as there are no gaps at then this would prevent damp getting into the room and condensation etc.
The area beneath the floor is vented and dries out and there is a distance of about 3 feet between the wet base area and the floorboards.
Any thoughts most appreciated....

Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to do it the other way around. That is fix your plastic as high up the wall as possible then just drape it down the wall and along over the earth, perhaps using a few bricks to hold it neatly at the bend. This is so the water stays on the "outside" of the plastic. To fix it upside down on the joists will mean you will need battens or temporary ones to hold it up as you fix it, and it will drape down over you as you do the work.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back