Is my house sinking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed the floors and walls are not level on the first floor. Now I know walls are rarely straight but by just how much are you supposed to allow before you start thinking it's not normal?

The semi-detached house was (I think) built in the 1950s and I can't see any cracks on the outside.

I built a sliding wardrobe not too long and noticed the floor was about 2.5cm lower than the other side, so I really had to adjust the doors quite a bit.

Now, I've assembled a bookcase on the other side of the house and realised by using a spirit level that the shelves are not level and the top of the bookcase is about 2cm away from the wall.

It's the floor I worry about more. The bookcase is 80cm wide and I reckon you need to raise one side about 1cm to make it level.

Does this sound typical to you?

With the bookcase, what are you supposed to do in situations like this? Add something under the bookcase to make level the width and depth? If I secure the top of the bookcase to the wall (which you should do) then it will put a strain on the bookcase itself as it's pushed back a bit.

Should I get an expert in?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed.

Anyway, has this potential out-of-levelness suddenly appeared or ongoing?

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed.

Anyway, has this potential out-of-levelness suddenly appeared or ongoing?

Well, that's just it. I've been in the house for nearly 5 years now and can't actually recall if there was a time when I should've noticed it before.
I'm guessing (hoping) that this has been like this for eons. This is a semi so surely if it's happening to me then my neighbour would've noticed too, or a big crack would've appeared?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back