Alcove bookcases on external wall with damp issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice on a new project I am hoping to get done this month....

I'm planning to build some some built in bookcases in the alcoves in our dining room (see attached pics plus one of the kind of thing I am thinking).

20231106_171907.jpg
20231106_171916.jpg

alcove-bookcases-throughout-newest-e2999b-bespoke-alcove-bookcases-joat-london-bespoke-furnitu...jpg

The main issue is it's an end of terrace wall which has some damp issues caused by the neighbours patio, which backs on to the wall. It's at a higher level than our internal floors, and there's no french drain installed. Given our neighbour is unlikely to agree to ripping up their patio, our only option I can see is to hack of the plaster up to about 1m and tank the wall, and then I am thinking batten and insulate with foil backed board over that to give a damp and condensation free surface to build the bookcases against (see diagram below).

ALCOVE.jpg

Does this sound like a good approach? I know there are things like cold bridging, dew points etc that I need to be mindful of.. I don't want to create a mould hazard!

Keen to hear other approaches (especially if they would save money!) if people foresee issues with this approach, or equally if it's overkill... I'm wondering as there would be an air gap between the battens and the insulation board whether tanking is actually necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back