Is my, inaccessible, loft insulated or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is a new build of around 4 years old. There is a bedroom above the garage. This bedroom typically remains 5-10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. The loft above that bedroom is inaccessible. I have suspected that that part of the loft is not insulated but had no way of getting to it to find out. Having spoken to the neighbour who has the mirror image of ours (it is semi-detached), and theirs gets perfectly warm and stays so. So we rigged up a camera and pushed it through the top of the wall (at the apex) that separates the accessible part of the loft from the inaccessible part and made a video.

I now think it is not insulated but am not sure.

What do you think? Your views would be helpful.

Here is the video/;

Sponsored Links
CoolhandPete, good evening.

OK i give up? what is supporting the ceiling? I see no traces of Joists? and the top layer appears to have been float finished [roughly]

Ken

I should have explained it better. The only place I could access the space is at the very apex of the roof using a camera on a fixed 6ft pole from the accessible loft. The video is shot looking directly down like an aerial view so the plane that looks like it is roughly floated is actually the verticAl deviding wall between the 2 lofts.

The 4x4innch beam to the right is vertical.
The foil coated ducting is horizontal.
I believe that ducting is resting on the joists.

Thanks for replies so far.

Sponsored Links
no its not, the easiest way is as freddy says, cut a hatch and insulate with rockwool

It's hard to tell from the video but looks to me like you would have a decent bit of space up there if you did put a hatch in.

you should be able to contact the builders as its only 4 yrs old
and get them to insulate it.

It should have a 10 year warranty, but as they haven't insulated the ceiling, then they've contravened the building regs. Contact the builders first, and then whoever's named on the warranty - not that they tend to be much cop from the stories that I've heard.

The warranty will carry an excess of £1000 or thereabouts and in any case is very doubtful it would cover this anyway. The reality is that new-build house warranties are actually designed to protect the mortgage providers interests so they only cover things that would affect the resale value if the homeowner defaults such as subsidence.

Why not make a crawl hatch from your accessible loft through to the inaccessible loft rather than making a hole in the ceiling? What's the divider made from?

If they seem unwilling to make good the shoddy workmanship then you can take pictures
and then name and shame them on social media.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back