Is my mixer tap fixable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house and discovered the mixer tap in the kitchen leaks out the bottom of the swan neck when the taps are on. I'm wondering if anyone can advise on whether it's repairable. Replacement seems like it would be a big job as it's soldered on to the water pipes.

There's a screwhead at the back of the tap just below the swan next. I can't make it turn. The swan neck comes out of the base just by lifting it. It doesn't seem to need to be turned at any specific angle to lift out. I've circled the screw as seen from inside the base.
IMG_20201010_111237069_sanitized.jpg
I suspect the screw should be longer than it is, otherwise what's the point of it. I've also attached a photo of the base of the swan neck. The edges of that white ring don't look very clear, I'm wondering if that ring should be whole.
IMG_20201010_111221652_sanitized.jpg
I've looked at How To I found on here about replacing o-rings in mixer taps but struggled to relate what it described to what's in the photo. I have no idea what make of tap it is.

Could this tap be fixable, perhaps even by someone who has never seen the inside of a tap before today?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You are right on all counts - that screw needs to be longer and the white nylon ring is generally whole.
I reckon that tap has seen better days and its best to replace it, especially if you can’t get that screw out.
Even though it’s soldered in, its no huge deal for a plumber if the supply pipes are accessible - especially if there are isolators to prevent the need for a water drain down.
Replacement taps often have flexible connectors which makes the job easier.
John :)

You’ve probably seen my similar recent thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/leaking-mixer-tap.553622/

I think the screw goes into the slot in the white nylon component on the left of your second photo; line it up when you insert it and it might go in.

The o-rings don’t look too bad to me but they are easy to replace once you have the right ones (in my experience of having done it only once).

Just thinking, if that screw cant be shifted there’s a chance the swan neck would never seal correctly :(
You’re right about the nylon ring!

Sponsored Links
I think the screw goes into the slot in the white nylon component on the left of your second photo; line it up when you insert it and it might go in.
The screw might well, in theory, go in to the slot in the white nylon component. But the reality is that it won't. What's shown in the photo, of the end of the screw essentially flush with the inside of the base, is a far as the screw goes in. The screwhead is right up against the outside of the base. I haven't done anything with the screw other than establish that I can't turn it. If the screw is supposed to go in to anything then it has undergone some catastrophic shortening.

Your first photo seems to show some wear and corrosion in the tap body, so I doubt if new O rings and screw would make the thing perfect.
If you can give us a pic of the pipe work supplying the tap we could see how difficult a repair would be.

I gave the insides a scrub after that photo was taken and it does look a bit better now, but not great. I'll try to remember to post pics of the pipes, but I can't for a couple days. I've already established there's isolation valves on both hot and cold pipes.

1. If you can't turn the screw, the tap is a write off. By the time you've got it out to get better access to the screw, you are halfway to fitting a new one.
2. On many taps, that white plastic collar is split. It's purpose is to guide the swivelling spout, not to provide a water seal.
3. The O rings both look flattened on the outer edge.
4. You could try removing the O rings, wrapping a few (say 5 to start with) turns of PTFE tape into the grooves, then replacing the O rings and trying the spout again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back