Is my new GRP composite door painted??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are GRP doors sprayed or is the GRP layed coloured, as I was lead to believe?

I ordered a white grp composite door for my porch, expecting a hardwearing white coloured GRP surface on it.

As I opened the door to fit it once in place, I noticed small chips where the door had struck the lock area. There is also a small chip about to flake off on the bottom of the door. The hinge edge is clearly sprayed, very thinly.

I was gobsmacked as I was under the impression that the colour was a 'through colour', as in the GRP was coloured, not spayed on. If has chipped or worn off in its packaging, I am concerned how it will deal with day to day knocks and use.

I will take this up with the supplier but as it's the weekend, I can't do that until Monday, but would like some advice first.

Sponsored Links
So no-one knows then?

The door is from New World in Ireland, but supplied by a local supplier.

I spoke to the supplier, who said that they are indeed painted. WTF?

The finish is not good, especially on the hinge and latch edges, very rough and sparse. It would appear that the edges are wooden, despite me being told that they were an internal wood frame encapsulated in GRP, with GRP frame rails.

I would not encourage anyone to buy a composite door based on this one.

103 views, no replies, so here's an update for those that are interested.

The supplier has agreed to have the door back for rework or replacement, however it's up to me to get it to them and it may not even fit the frame if it's made again.
In the meantime, I will have no door on the porch for however long it takes them to sort it out.

I'm keen to get this project finished, so my knee jerk reaction of taking it all out and demanding a refund is not the course I want to take at present, but along with the window woes I've had I feel like doing just that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back