Faulty composite door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new composite door fitted by someone that lives in the next street as he gave us the cheapest quote and advise that he would fit the exact door I pointed out from a borcure. We ordered a white door.

He came to fit it and advised that he'd ordered black in error and asked if we wanted to look at it, to which we refused advising we wanted a white one and he agreed to order another.

He fitted it a couple of weeks later, and a day after I noticed a paint park on the glass and discovered that he'd had the black door painted white! After much discussion, he agreed to order a new door slab and replace it.

He has since done so. I have now noticed that the door leaks through the bottom of the glass. On further inspection there are indentations surrounding the glass. See images attached.

He has agreed to come and look at it but I think he's going to suggest filling with silocone, which I believe is a temp fix.

My first question is, what should be done about these dents and leak, and secondly, how many chances should I give this person before I just tell him to take back his porch and I order one from the next supplier?

Sponsored Links
ok now i work for a company that manufactures composite doors, the biggest in the country.

Now if there is a problem with our doors such as leaking cassettes around the glass then we infact do come out and fix this, because more than likely it is an error that happend in the factory. The engineer will take out the glass and remove all old silicone and reseal it on site and replace the cassettes with new ones.

If the door has dents in it, it could due to the overtighten of the blocks inside the cassette causing the door to squash, if its not that then the door must be faulty and should be replaced, either way we would send an enginner out to do a report, when and if your supplier gets in touch with us.

As we only supply to trade, so we will deal with ur supplier who in turn will deal with you as you are there customer.

If you can find out who he got it from and post back i can help you some more.

ok now i work for a company that manufactures composite doors, the biggest in the country.

Now if there is a problem with our doors such as leaking cassettes around the glass then we infact do come out and fix this, because more than likely it is an error that happend in the factory. The engineer will take out the glass and remove all old silicone and reseal it on site and replace the cassettes with new ones.

If the door has dents in it, it could due to the overtighten of the blocks inside the cassette causing the door to squash, if its not that then the door must be faulty and should be replaced, either way we would send an enginner out to do a report, when and if your supplier gets in touch with us.

As we only supply to trade, so we will deal with ur supplier who in turn will deal with you as you are there customer.

If you can find out who he got it from and post back i can help you some more.

Hi, and thanks for responding.

As this fitter replaced the door slab only, he re-used all of the fittings from the original door, re-fitting the glass and cassettes himself.

I have since had the fitter back out and he has said that he believes that he may have, as you suggested, overtightened causing these dents.

Should he be doing this himself?

I believe the supplier of this door is W B Group Products, don't know if you're aware of them?

Thanks,

has the leaking stopped now ??

i do know of the company you mentioned and im not sure if the buy the slabs from us in bulk then manufacture the rest of the door themselves or if they buy from us then sell to other businesses.

I am actually a field engineer and have to attend site to address problems such as yours.

Now if he has overtightened and caused indentations in the new slab, then i suggest if it bothers you that you request a new slab from him. he only has to tighten them finger tight and they will be secure enough.

Sponsored Links
has the leaking stopped now ??

i do know of the company you mentioned and im not sure if the buy the slabs from us in bulk then manufacture the rest of the door themselves or if they buy from us then sell to other businesses.

I am actually a field engineer and have to attend site to address problems such as yours.

Now if he has overtightened and caused indentations in the new slab, then i suggest if it bothers you that you request a new slab from him. he only has to tighten them finger tight and they will be secure enough.

Hi again. And I really appreciate the info.

As you said, he did confirm he believes that the dents (which you can see above have caused a slight gap) have been caused by over teightening them.

He has advised that it should be resolved by just loosening it up. I'm unclear if this will 'bounce back' as such, or if it will leave a permenent dent? Do you know?

He clearly doesn't have the same knowledge you do as I presume he normally just fits these doors.

He has not attempted to do this as of yet as I agreed it could wait till he returned from his holidys.

I have also just noticed today that there seems to be a slight difference in the shade of what that the slab is do the edging on the glass? I dont know if it's just my eyes or the light. Could this be possible?

As you advised if he doesnt sort these issues out I will request a new door. I'm sure he will not be happy about this as it seems it will have to come out of his own pocket! luckily I've not paid him anything yet!

Thanks,

fitted by someone that lives in the next street as he gave us the cheapest quote

Teacher-reading.gif

Remember kids, Dave down the street giving you the cheapest price isn't going to be as good as paying that little bit extra for a proper firm fitting the right good quality product with a proper guarantee. :rolleyes:

he can loosen them , this means removing the silicone around the internal cassettes, taking them off and then loosening the screws onthe blocks a little , then replace the cassette and reseal, then leave it a few days and see if the dents close up with a 50/50 chance.

with regards to the colour of the door if its a diff shade of white, then he can take this up with the supplier if ur not happy, altho if its within the white tolerence zone then thats it, they usually check this with a color tool.

fitted by someone that lives in the next street as he gave us the cheapest quote

Teacher-reading.gif

Remember kids, Dave down the street giving you the cheapest price isn't going to be as good as paying that little bit extra for a proper firm fitting the right good quality product with a proper guarantee. :rolleyes:

He was not the cheapest quote I had, I went with him as he advised he would do exactly what I wanted, source the exact door I wanted, do it slightly cheaper, and he had repaired a window for me in the past, fitted windows for my best mate, and he works for a reputable company.

Another 'expert' seems to be under the impression that I paid 'rolls royce' prices, so which one of you do I believe?

Another 'expert' seems to be under the impression that I paid 'rolls royce' prices, so which one of you do I believe?

I don't want to know how much you've paid. All I know is you've ordered a white door which arrived in the wrong colour. Instead of having a new one made the existing one has been painted over.

It's now been replaced with a door thats been over tightened, has different shades of white and leaks with further faults around the glass which the fitter wants to try and fix with silicone.

Hardly the customer service of a proper window company. :?:

Even though this post is aging now I thought I'd add something to the comments made. I have never really used screw in cassettes so I couldn't really say if they are capable of bowing a grp surface or not.
I can however say that the grp surface can and most definatley will fluctuate in width during the manufacturing process.
This can lead to (annoyingly) slight gaps between the grp surface and the cassette. This is standard in the industry and if noticed can cause issues to domestic customers giving the idea that there is something wrong with their door. Infact making the doors is just as frustrating when seating cassettes as the last thing we want is water gaining access through the door. The reality is that the bonding between the grp surface and cassette should be quite fierce in it's positioning as to fill gaps and deflect water and to over compensate for any manufacturing floors.
In terms of grp colour you should see a colour swatch before buying as a comparison to your real door to avoid colour issues. My personal opinion is that the fitter messed up and you have the right to expect him to sort the issue out until you are satisfied.
Trading standards are always useful when it comes to fitters who try to cut corners and make the buyer pay for their mistakes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back