Is my paint to thick or just me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going mad! I have just given a celling a second coat of paint, and I cant get a nice even finish I get slightly shinny lines and I am getting a texture to the surface which looks awful. I am using just a standard Matt emulsion it is very thick and I am using a Harris micro fiber roller short pile, am I right in thinking that this roller cant cope with pant so think, the paint is adhering in places and the roller is just sucking it off other parts. Can I just add water to the paint to thin it out to make it easier for the roller to cope??? Thanks for your help people! bobby

Sponsored Links
Its definately not you thats thick lol, its your paint, and the texture your getting I expect is a lumpy effect.
your lines will dry in, but will leave a slight ridge, sometimes this is caused by the actual roller, and its mainly from the end of the roller sleeve just slightly jutting out from the arm.

Try and bang the actual sleeve so that is fits snug on the arm.

if your ceiling is flat and you want a flat finish, then a short pile is okay, as it sorts of floats across the ceiling, and is very smooth.

You need to sand the lines/ridges, and start again.

Add some water and mix well, get your stick, and if the paint blobs off the end, then its too thick for you, try to get the paint to run off, but not like water lol, more like a thick runny double cream
Try adding about 10%-15% water for the first coat, and if you find its too thin, then for your next coat add less water.

You will be able to tell after the first couple of rolls, as you will notice how the paint goes on
Then all you have to do is to add either more water or paint.

If you still find you get lines/ridges, as I get them the odd time on ceilings,(funny enough I never get them on walls) what I do is, carry on rolling the area, and just before I am due to load up the roller again,(as now your roller has no paint on it) I then go over these ridges very lightly and roll them out, then I load my roller and go on to the next bit.

Good answer Spicey girl!

He may not be getting enough paint on with a short pile sleeve either...Id replace for a medium pile

Just to say thank you very much for your excellent advice! Will be trying again tomorrow will post how I get on!

Bobby :D

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
Good answer Spicey girl!

He may not be getting enough paint on with a short pile sleeve either...Id replace for a medium pile

Yep, actually your right Zamps, medium pile, must have been on drugs when I suggested short. :oops:

Old to new said:
Just to say thank you very much for your excellent advice! Will be trying again tomorrow will post how I get on!

Bobby :D

Great, as very interested in the outcome. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back