Is my radiator too close to the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! I had a little bit of work done, by an engineer not a cowboy, but he took the radiator off the wall and put it up differently to how it came off. It's much closer to the wall, the the point where the pipe runs horizontally flat across the wall, and the radiator is flat along the pipe. The radiator is pinning the pipe to the wall. Is this right!? Xxx

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the pipe runs behind the rad, and the rad is pushing the pipe towards the wall?

Doesn't sound good, or proper installation. Maybe, as the pipe and rad will heat up and contract at different rates, they will rub on each other causing noise.

Sponsored Links
Most radiator brackets can be installed two ways one with the radiator close to the wall and the other with the rad further out, either is OK and is all down to the customers preferance

Most radiator brackets can be installed two ways one with the radiator close to the wall and the other with the rad further out, either is OK and is all down to the customers preferance

I always keep the rad away from the wall, makes it so much easier when decorating.

yes I agree that there is that argument, but some installers prefer closer to the wall to prevent people from jamming clothes down the back when drying them and loosening the brackets as I said earlier I advise customer of pros and cons of both and let them decide

depend on if its a double or a single
double close as bracket can bear the weight better
single away from as it not as heavy and you better circulation of air away from wall

If the pipe runs behind the radiator and blocks off the air circulation path it negates all the convention effect that the back of the radiator should produce so he has reduced the heat output of the radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back