Is my TV on the way out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I noticed that I have a green line from top to bottom on my TV. It’s about 8 years old. Is this a sign of it on the way out? I certainly hope so as it will give me an excuse to replace it! Our current one is 40” but I don’t want to go bigger than a 43” as Mrs Mottie doesn’t like telly's that draw your eye to them. Would prefer one with Freeview play.

The difference between 'normal' BBC and HD BBC, while noticeable is not that much to my eyes so is there much point in me spending £1k plus compared to one for around the £400 mark? Will a 100 Hz tv really be that much better for me than a 50Hz one.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

0AD7C82C-E926-4EE0-A0A0-2DB00C7B8D95.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Be interested to get others views, but I don't like higher Hz refresh if you are watching SD transmissions... it seems slightly juddery to me.

Is freeview play a streaming service, if it is, is it not HD in quality?

Is your current screen LED?

Be interested to get others views, but I don't like higher Hz refresh if you are watching SD transmissions... it seems slightly juddery to me.

Is freeview play a streaming service, if it is, is it not HD in quality?

Is your current screen LED?
As far as I know, whatever is on HD is HD on Freeview play catchup.

According to the specs, it is LED. Also says it’s 200Hz Is that right?

Had a few lines on a friends tv, took the back off and remade all the connection around the edge of tv and lines went away, lots of guides on youtube.

Sponsored Links
Glue coming unstuck on the edge connector ribbon cables around the screen.

Regarding refresh rate there are several figures used and you need to be aware of what they really apply to. Naturally the manufacturers try to use the biggest figure because that looks the most impressive

Your TV's LCD panel is the figure you should be most interested in. This is a foundation specification. Everything else is built in top.

The CX680 uses a 50hz native refresh rate panel. That's the real refresh rate that everything else sits on. it doesn't matter how many times the software samples the picture (the motion processing rate) or attempts to adjust the backlight, none of that changes the fact that the TV displays 50 images per second (60/s with some streaming content) rather than 100/120 that higher-grade sets manage. Don't worry, most TVs under a grand are 50/60hz native.

More advance motion processing does help though.

Modern TV's seem to last forever. We're usually ready for a new one by the time one breaks (hopefully the smallest) so we can shuffle them along. We have 2 x 32" spares under the bed which the kids turn their noses up at.

Modern TV's seem to last forever. We're usually ready for a new one by the time one breaks (hopefully the smallest) so we can shuffle them along. We have 2 x 32" spares under the bed which the kids turn their noses up at.

I dunno. I recently had to visit an elderly relative. She mentioned that she had audio but no picture on her 10 year old (24") Samsung. I initially assumed that there was a picture but that the back light, or inverter, had failed. I got there and yup, one or the other had failed. At an RRP of £150, I recommended that she just buy a new one.

Bizarrely, you can no longer buy 1080p 24" tellies, they are all 720p. I guess 1080p screens that size are now used for monitors.

Glue coming unstuck on the edge connector ribbon cables around the screen.

I have seen people recommend using a hairdryer to reset the glue. I haven't tried it myself though.

I just offer replaced less modern sets on facebook, or to charities, when I buy more modern replacements. Plenty of people just desperate to get a TV for free.
We did that 2 years ago when we took delivery of a new tv. Posted on Freecycle and when I delivered the tv, ( the woman had no transport) and set it up, she and one of her two teenage kids were in tears. Now we Freecycle or Freegle everything we no longer have use for. And if the that tv brought joy to that family, just imagine the pleasure a woman and her teenage son got when I delivered and assembled a single bed complete with bedding. Previously, the young lad had slept on a mattress on the floor.
Sorry mottie, it was not my intention to hijack your thread.

We did that 2 years ago when we took delivery of a new tv. Posted on Freecycle and when I delivered the tv, ( the woman had no transport) and set it up, she and one of her two teenage kids were in tears. Now we Freecycle or Freegle everything we no longer have use for. And if the that tv brought joy to that family, just imagine the pleasure a woman and her teenage son got when I delivered and assembled a single bed complete with bedding. Previously, the young lad had slept on a mattress on the floor.

The other side of the coin is people collecting free items, to resell and I hate that with a vengeance. Best to ask them for a few words to explain why they want it.

The other side of the coin is people collecting free items, to resell and I hate that with a vengeance. Best to ask them for a few words to explain why they want it.

some of them have multiple usernames to hide the fact they are after everything.

I ignore the automated "can I have it?" and "is it still available" and ask the likely recipents to text me when they would be able to collect.

the traders often use the same phone no for all their fake usernames.

with good clothes, I say the recipent must call round and try it on.

I delighted a couple of men who'd been out of work and wanted an interview suit or office shirts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back