Is planning permission out-of-date?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Consent is given for a detached barn to be converted to a house. The barn is restructured in a barn-like fashion with a barn-like door. But only the shell of it has been completed. It has a roof of course but no windows, chimneys or normal outside doors.

Considerable time has passed. When it comes to finishing off the work, will planning permission have to be applied for again?

Sponsored Links
as long as you start the project and they know you have, subject to what work you have done.... then yes, once started, you can take forever and the permission still stands.

unless they have changed it!

How long ago are we talking about here? Assuming the required Building Regulations plans submission or a Building Notice was submitted (which will prove when work started) & this was within the PP validity (3-5 years depending on when it was granted), there are generally no time constraints on completion once work has started.

mine was started over twenty years ago never going to finish it

Sponsored Links
I was starting to worry because mine was 6 years & counting! :LOL:

mine was started over twenty years ago never going to finish it
That's a bit like all those unfinished houses that you see in Greece (and elsewhere possibly) where the bottom bit is lived in but there are concrete piles stretching into the sky for the next storey. Apparently you only pay the taxes when you finish the building, so few people ever finish their building. No wonder they are bankrupt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back