Is plumbing still a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can they guarantee their pipes for 50 years when they haven't been in general use for 50 years.
I take it that you think there is no such guarantee. :rolleyes:

Was your capability for joined up thinking removed at birth, or has someone beaten it out of you?

Has it never occurred to you to wonder how a car manufacturer can give a 12-year corrosion guarantee on a brand new model of car?

Can you not think (for yourself) of one single way that a manufacturer can afford to offer a long guarantee on a brand new product?

Here's another conundrum:- when you'd been trading for less than six years, how do you think that you were able to offer a six-year guarantee on your professional workmanship?

And before you even contemplate claiming that you didn't, let's just fast-forward to what I'd reply to such an ill-informed contradiction.......
You're wrong.

Sponsored Links
50 year guarantee ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

If the product goes south, so does the company, end of. Promises and sales blurb don't mean much then.

Copper- tried and trusted. And that counts for a lot, in our here-today gone-tomorrow, rip-off, new fangled for the sake of it, solution for every problem you didn't have, here-come's-another-one, make a quick buck world.

50 year guarantee ain't worth the paper it's printed on.
You're also wrong.

If the product goes south, so does the company, end of. Promises and sales blurb don't mean much then.
I see no reason for a product that's been around for 30 years to suddenly "go south", or indeed drift toward any of the other compass points.

Copper- tried and trusted.
...and corroded, and eroded.

And that counts for a lot, in our here-today gone-tomorrow, rip-off, new fangled for the sake of it, solution for every problem you didn't have, here-come's-another-one, make a quick buck world.
Ah, I see what's happened here. You actually don't know the first thing about Hep2o.

It's OK - you don't have to use anything that you don't understand.

It's OK - you don't have to use anything that you don't understand.

Ha. I currently own a £2000 "product", less than a year old, the manufacturer of which has gone bust. The joke is there's such high demand for this product the distributors and others are trying to build their own version.

nothing is infallible, evan banks are going bust right now.

but I digress; 30 years of plastic? are you talking of alkafeed (spelling?) that black cr4p that was supposed to revolutionise plumbing?

A lot of fantastic new products come, promise lots, fail and go. Aluminum core cables is a good example. The wise contractor is open to new technology, but wary, very wary of the promises that salesmen make. I sell customers an installation thats good for 20/30/etc years. The only way you can honestly sell that is by using product you know will last.

Sponsored Links
Have you ever come across this plastic stuff thats been installed for 50 years and is it still working?

as for car manufacturers giving 12 year guarantees on new cars , probably because the process has been tried and tested on other models. P.S. my guarantee only lasts until the cheque clears.

How can they guarantee their pipes for 50 years when they haven't been in general use for 50 years.
I take it that you think there is no such guarantee. :rolleyes:
Have you ever come across this plastic stuff thats been installed for 50 years and is it still working?
Show me a plastic installation that was installed 50 years ago, and I'll show you one that's still working.

Has it never occurred to you to wonder how a car manufacturer can give a 12-year corrosion guarantee on a brand new model of car?
as for car manufacturers giving 12 year guarantees on new cars , probably because the process has been tried and tested on other models.
And what about the first time that a 12-year warranty was offered? Had that been "tried and tested"? If so, how?

Can you not think (for yourself) of one single way that a manufacturer can afford to offer a long guarantee on a brand new product?
:?:

Here's another conundrum:- when you'd been trading for less than six years, how do you think that you were able to offer a six-year guarantee on your professional workmanship?

And before you even contemplate claiming that you didn't, let's just fast-forward to what I'd reply to such an ill-informed contradiction.......
You're wrong.
P.S. my guarantee only lasts until the cheque clears.
Exactly as I predicted. You're wrong.

Is this a quiz?if so, here is one for you, what qualifies YOU! to endorse a product by claiming it has a 50 year guarantee.
The Titanic was guaranteed not to sink and what happened?let me fill you in case you don't know the answer.
IT SANK.

As for the questions above there are irrelevant as i have already answered them, instead of going off in a tangent why don't you answer a simple question. I repeat, what qualifies YOU! to endorse a product by claiming it has a 50 year guarantee?.

Resorting to personal abuse and sarcasm when replying to a post is a sign of weakness Softus. Why are you so rattled when you are asked straightforward questions.

Is this a quiz?
No.

if so, here is one for you, what qualifies YOU! to endorse a product by claiming it has a 50 year guarantee.
I'm not endorsing anything, or claiming anything. It's a fact that the manufacturer of Hep2o products offers a 50 year guarantee.

The Titanic was guaranteed not to sink
No it wasn't. No such guarantee was given. The ship was merely branded as "unsinkable" by some people who were proved wrong very quickly and easily.

As for the questions above there are irrelevant as i have already answered them, instead of going off in a tangent...
The Titanic is an extreme example of a tangent.

why don't you answer a simple question. I repeat, what qualifies YOU! to endorse a product by claiming it has a 50 year guarantee?.
Please show me where I have endorsed anything, or claimed something that's factually incorrect.

If you want to know what qualifies me in knowing about the existence of the guarantee, it's the ability to read words with my eyes and digest them with my brain. Lots of people have the same qualification.

Resorting to personal abuse and sarcasm when replying to a post is a sign of weakness
Please show me where I've been abusive or sarcastic.

Why are you so rattled
Please show me where I've been rattled.

...when you are asked straightforward questions.
Please show me where, on this topic, you think I've not answered a straightforward question.

Why don't you have a look at your neplies to other peoples posts, if you can't see what i am talking about there isn't much point in me telling you.

I didn't say you didn't answer straightforward questions

ask a simple question, get a massive argument. thats what i love about this forum. someone asks a question, someone else answers it, then someone dissagrees and everyone just starts to bombard that post with various insults to each other, keep up the good work.

Resorting to personal abuse and sarcasm when replying to a post is a sign of weakness
Please show me where I've been abusive or sarcastic.
Why are you so rattled
Please show me where I've been rattled.
...when you are asked straightforward questions.
Please show me where, on this topic, you think I've not answered a straightforward question.
vinty said:
I didn't say you didn't answer straightforward questions
You haven't said very much at all really.

If i were to say to you, was your ability to read simple statements removed at birth or was it kicked out of you, can i take it i am not being abusive.

The point i am making is you seem to misread other peoples statements, i said you get rattled by straightforward questions your reply is 'show me where i haven't answered a straightforward question' or words to that effect. Why do you give replies to questions that haven't been asked?

If i were to say to you, was your ability to read simple statements removed at birth or was it kicked out of you, can i take it i am not being abusive.
It's up to you. I wouldn't feel insulted or offended, because I know it doesn't apply to me.

The point i am making is you seem to misread other peoples statements
I disagree. I do misread the occasional statement, just like anybody else does, but it's very rare. If you find a reply of mine somewhat oblique, that's probably because I'm asking a question in order to make a point, or to lead to a point, not because of misreading something.

i said you get rattled by straightforward questions
You did say that, and you were wrong, because I was not, and am not, rattled. You're reading emotion into some words when it just isn't there.

your reply is 'show me where i haven't answered a straightforward question' or words to that effect.
And yet you don't respond to any of the requests, except the one that you deem to be misplaced.

Why do you give replies to questions that haven't been asked?
I don't know. I don't think it really matters.

Why do you not give replies to questions that have been asked?

Manufacturers give long guarantees on new products because they test them to breaking point, undertake repetitive stress tests which are supposed to simulate years of abuse / wear, etc. Some materials do deteriorate over time, but this scenario is also 'speed' tested by subjecting the product to extremes of heat and cold again and again. Apparently this simulates the 'age' factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back