Is sulfate damage the same as contaminated hardcore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm looking at buying a property what as had some movement. It was built in 1984 and they was 5 detached property's buit all the same. None of the other property's have had a problem. I've Been told its contaminated hardcore but I can't find info about this on the net only sulfate damage so I was thinking is this the same?
Ive also been told if its sulfate damage the other property's would have it but this is not the case.

Thanks lee.

Sponsored Links
Contaminated hardcore can be contaminated with lots of things, one of which may be sulphates

The 1984 built property should have a DPM which makes sulphate attack less likely, though not impossible

There may be other reasons for the movement, you need to either get the property surveyed or forget about it

As said sulphate shouldn't be a problem at that build times, but you never know. It needs water (leaking drains, cold supply pipe, plumbing) to start activation which is why neighbours can be OK. A sulphate test cost us £250 and a good fortnight to get result.

Get a structural guy in as sulphate can force out walls making the property unsellable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back