Is the circulating pump to blame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, hope you can help.

I've got a Potterton Prima boiler and a Myson CP53 pump. Lately the pump has been making grinding noises but the CH and HW both work fine so I've put off replacing it.

Last night the pump sounded terrible then the boiler started making banging sounds and the cover was too hot to touch. Water also started to come out of the overflow into the garden. Same thing happened this morning when the timer activated the HW.

Is the pump failing causing the boiler to over heat and the expansion tank to overflow?

Any advice gratfully received

Sponsored Links
pump appears to be in need of replacing, i would also check for bockages around cold feed area

Cheers for the advice.

I was going to take the opportunity to do a drain down and mains flush of both the HW and CH. Can you tell me what's the best way to ensure that the boiler completly empties of water, hopefully preventing an airlock in the process.

Just to remind everyone, it's a Potterton Prima F and it doesn't have any valves or drainage points that I can see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back