Noise from pump and boiler will not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No Hot water and CH.
Boiler will not switch on.
Noise coming from pump, I think. Noise sounds like it is coming from heating system overflow tank. I think this is due to the sound being transmitted from the pump, along the pipe.
Switching boiler off then on, does not start the gas boiler. No pilot light. Switching electricity off stops the noise. So timer is ok.
How can do I know that there is water getting to the pump? As the noise could be because the pump is dry.
Everything was working fine this morning. No sure when the system stopped work.

Sponsored Links
check that there is water in header tank

If the head tank is the small overflow tank above the boiler then there is water in tank. I can see that the water is above the pipe at the bottom of the tank. Pressing down on the "ball" valve , more water enters the tank. So there is water getting to the head tank.

When I turn the electricity off to the heating system the noise stops, as the pump stops. When I turn back on I can hear water noises, and the noise of the from the pump starts again. This noise is not usual. The pump motor housing is hot to the touch, very hot but not too hot that I can not lay my hand on the casing.

have you opened the bleed screw on the pump and bled any high points near the pump?

Sponsored Links
I take it that this is a simliar process to bleeding radiators of air. On the pump there is a screw the size of ten pence, is this the bled screw?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back