Is the lean on this wall dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taking my mums dog for a street walk this morning I saw this wall in one of the alleyways I go down. I've been noticing it for years but next door has had their rear garden wall replaced which made it look more noticeable. I'm assuming that the new wall is straight so would you say the other wall has a dangerous lean? I once heard and felt a wall of that size fall down where next doors kids had been playing only moments earlier and the screams from the mum made us go cold. (Fortunately her kids had gone next door). Is it worth reporting to the local authority and if so, which department?

7A13B1E2-102C-4FCF-A3AD-B19A401727B4.jpeg
67DDCD66-EFFD-425B-B0A2-7D7B5E679368.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Given that the centre of gravity is outside the footprint of the wall on the ground then the answer has to be Yes it is potentially in danger of toppling over onto the footpath.

It might already be toppling but held in place by the foliage.

If that is a public footpath then the condition of the wall needs reporting to the local council

Hi,

Yes, report it!

When out walking, I would cross the road to get away from a particular wall, fearing collapse on my dog (..and heaven forbid, if it were to fall on a toddler).
I reported it and within a couple of months it was replaced, along with a few more along the street (and it wasn't nearly as bad as that one!)

it comes under planning and building control / dangerous structures, for my LA.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.
I've just reported it all online to my local authority building control department and sent pictures. I got an immediate response saying that I can't report dangerous structures online and I have to phone them in the week! I'll do that on Monday.

The Highways department at the council should have a 24/7 emergency phone number, If that is a signposted public footpath then the Highways Department are likely to be responsible for it's upkeep and safety If they are then they may be more proactive than Building Control

Thanks all.
I've just reported it all online to my local authority building control department and sent pictures. I got an immediate response saying that I can't report dangerous structures online and I have to phone them in the week! I'll do that on Monday.

How rediculous is that, in the modern age....

Clearly they think gravity only works 9-5 Monday to Friday!
Although to be fair it's certainly not an emergency, it can probably wait a month let alone a couple of days.

Thanks all.

What, after it has fallen on someone!

From the Essex County Council website

You can tell us about maintenance issues online by using our highways reporting tool. If you think there's a risk to public safety, do not report it online, please call us immediately on 0345 603 7631 or if you have hearing problems you can use our text phone service on 0345 758 5592.

From the Essex County Council website

You can tell us about maintenance issues online by using our highways reporting tool. If you think there's a risk to public safety, do not report it online, please call us immediately on 0345 603 7631 or if you have hearing problems you can use our text phone service on 0345 758 5592.
Unfortunately I don't come under Essex County Council.

Just had a reply.....

Thank you for reporting the wall at the above address.
I carried out an inspection on this wall on 01-11-21. Although the wall is leaning, it is not immediately dangerous and therefore no action was carried out. Should you believe the walls structural state has worsened at any point in the future, please feel free to contact myself or [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Joe Richardson MCABE, MCIOB | Building Control Surveyor

Is there a certain point in degrees as to when a lean on a wall becomes dangerous?

Mr Richardson has taken full responsibility for that wall.
You can sleep comfortably knowing that you have done everything in your power.
However, if I were you I wouldn't pass by that wall.
Let Mr Richardson do that...

Mr Richardson has taken full responsibility for that wall.
You can sleep comfortably knowing that you have done everything in your power.
However, if I were you I wouldn't pass by that wall.
Let Mr Richardson do that...
I was about to say exactly the same, except a lot less eloquently! (y)

that wall is dangerous no other conclusion can be reached in my opinion
it looks like there are concrete blocks toothed in at right angles so will move the centre off gravity
also iff the foundations are a few inches under the path it will further help by moving the tipping point a bit

buuuuttt we dont know so must assume its about to go and the path needs closing

ask the person to put there name to the "safety statement" and ask iff you can quote it when you go to the press/local councilor/ police /who ever you fancy maybe even facebook ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back