Is the radiator line my villian?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Moved into an old building with interior brick walls and plaster. One wall has been constantly peeling plaster due to moisture (was that way when we moved in). Decided to see if I could identify where the moisture was coming from. Uncovered this radiator pipe running perfectly along the top of the area that is problematic. The radiator on the end is not connected and is on the tail end of the radiator leg in this room. No obvious leaks or signs of mositure on the pipe or the insulation wrap covering the pipe. I suspect that somehow this pipe is introducing or attracting moisture but have no idea how that is happening given there are no obvious leaks or signs of moisture across it's entire length but it seems too much of a coincidence given that the problem seems to start from there and migrates down the wall. Looking for any ideas or theories, e.g. condensation in winter/summer due to line being cold, etc.

20230620_153320.jpg

Sponsored Links
No chimney here. Solid brick column all around, hence, why the took the pipe on the outside versus through the column or even under the floor.

Sponsored Links
No chimney here. Solid brick column all around, hence, why the took the pipe on the outside versus through the column or even under the floor.
Have a look outside, might still be a terminal.

Well why is there a gaping hole in your pic ? definately looks like an old chimney to me and if it is that is your problem, they need to be vented
Here's a better picture of the faux hole. There are two dead water pipes (and a drain pipe) that run the length of this column (2 stories). Your comment got me to thinking. I went to the cellar and located where the old pipes came into the cellar. Looks like they made a hole in the celler wall the extends to under the column. The pipe and drain are all cut so no water coming from them (see photo). Used an endoscope and there is a big cavity under the column going part way up (see photo). So, suspect that cool moist air from cellar is finding it's way through the hole into the cavity and then trying to go through the wall to the less humid side in the room above. Column wall up one floor exhibits no water seepage/damage. The reason the damage seems to be constrained between the radiator pipes (top/bottom) is that while not connected to a radiator at the end, there is still hot water migrating through the pipes when the system is on providing just enough heat to dry out/keep the wall dry above and below and/or the material used to cover the pipes is less susceptible to moisture. The cavity probably tops out somewhere between the top and bottom of the damage area. That's my present theory.

Faux Hole.jpg
Cellar Opening.jpg
Cavity.jpg

Have a look outside, might still be a terminal.
No terminals or any type of structures on the outside of this column and no apparent damage to outside wall indicating moisture.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back