my friend has asked me to move radiator why he plasters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my friend is plastering a wall which has blown behind a radiator I SAID I WILL TAKE IT OFF BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE OFF FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS TILL PLASTER DRYS..... :confused: CAN I PUT 2 PLASTIC PUSH FITS ON THE END OF PIPE. or can I just close lock shield and valve as the person still wants to use heating
any ideas please :confused:

Sponsored Links
i had to do this a couple of weeks ago so loosened the nuts at either end and swung the rad down through 90 degrees and balanced it onsome bricks and dust sheets so it was supported and not straining the pipes . probably not the correct way to do it though .

word of warning , we lost some water when we loosened , about a pint in total , mineral water bottles cut in half seemed to collect most of it . oh and remember to put something in the bracket holes otherwise it will break your heart once you've plastered over them .

If you close the valves at each end you can then loosen the nuts at the ardiator (one at a time). The water will dribble out slowly then, you can catch iy in something low and flat like an emulsion paint tray. You can undo the bleed valve to help it run out. Then, when you undo the nut at the other end and lift it off, the remaining water will run out.

Your friend might like to paint the rad while you've got it off; the edges and back are much easier to do then.

As you've closed the valves, the rest of the heating system cab stay in use. The valves might dribble if they are old and worn.

Sponsored Links
If you're concerned about the valves dribbling then why not fit a blanking cap on each valve. there are a variety of types available, I have some similar to a solid 'olive' some 'compression' types and some plain caps with internal threads and rubber disc.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back