Is the SDS+ drill on front of Toolstation catalog any good?

Sponsored Links
The only thing I'd say is that at 5kg you won't be drilling many holes for shelves - it's just too heavy and unless suported whilst drilling might end up drilling an oval hole under the force of gravity

Scrit

question is, what do you plan to do with it. Sds drills have come down in price so much over the years, you can get a Pro in-line 2kg for about £70 now. The internals of a SDS drill are a bit more complicated than a standard impact drill and so unless the seals, beatpiece & cylinder design have not been properly engineered it won't last 5 minutes.

You only really need a 5kg if you are planning on doing a lot of chipping/ chasing, its not big enough for breaking. If you paln to just chop in the odd socket, or chase out a bit a good pro 2kg will do the job and last a lifetime.

Sponsored Links
I've got a bog standard Bosch hammer drill (not SDS) for wall stuff - this was really for the occasional heavier work, holes in concrete, chasing etc. But sounds like a 2kg would be good enough?

James

JamesHughes said:
- this was really for the occasional heavier work, holes in concrete, chasing etc. But sounds like a 2kg would be good enough?
Chasing doesn't require that weight, and it will be a bear to chase to the top of a wall with it. I chase with a 3kg rotation stop hammer no problems and I know guys who do it with a 2kg hammer - if you do a lot it's worth hiring a chaser and extractor. 2kg is fine for most work I find.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back