SDS Drill Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have bust my second SDS Drill :oops:

My first one stopped hammering so is now just used as a mixing drill, which it does a great job of.

My second one the switch fell apart and it jammed on - I've used it like that for 6 months or so but it's now spitting sparks out of the motor area, feels like little needles hitting your arm - so it's probably time to ditch that one.

I'm only a home user but I seem to find loads of jobs for them, but due to the relative low use I've never been able to justify spending too much on them.

Both the previous ones have been sub £40 corded etc.

The main use tends to be chiselling so I will require that function, I sometimes use them for drilling especially large holes for using core bits to do pipe holes etc - this is very occasional though, so it's probably used 80% of the time for chiselling 20% of the time for drilling.

I don't really want to spend too much but if I buy another £40 one and that breaks then I will have spent £120 and could have bought a much better one in the first place!

I've got some Makita Tools which use 18v NiMH batteries so have the charger and spare batteries for them but I don't think they do an 18v SDS and I'm not sure how good it would be.

Mains or battery would be OK - any suggestions?

Also don't mind buying 2nd hand if it makes more sense to buy a decent make 2nd hand one rather than a cheapo new one.

Sponsored Links
I sometimes use them for drilling especially large holes for using core bits to do pipe holes etc

different style of drill required for that, for diamonds faster speed, stronger drill altogether with quality clutch.

I've got some Makita Tools which use 18v NiMH batteries so have the charger and spare batteries for them but I don't think they do an 18v SDS and I'm not sure how good it would be.

I wouldn't use that battery system for anything greater than drilling for brown rawl plugs. In any case it is totally unsuitable for coring.
Mains or battery would be OK - any suggestions?

Also don't mind buying 2nd hand if it makes more sense to buy a decent make 2nd hand one rather than a cheapo new one.

Mains powered SH quality tools go for nothing on ebay because we are all out of work and our kids are starving, but we don't get paid by the state for pram pushing and fagging it watching jeremy Kyle.

The coring is very occasional, and I have a good quality mains hammer drill for general drilling, so the majority of the time it would be for chiselling.

Get a second hand branded drill. I got a blue Bosch for 20 quid over 20 years ago. Still going strong.

Sponsored Links
i thought you said branded tools was just tool snobbery :rolleyes:

Get branded, you know that every time you go to use it that it will work, especially with occasional light use. Get a bosch blue or personally I have had many makita's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back