Cordless drill

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy a new cordless drill. My old one (Dewalt 18V) still works, but both batteries barely hold any charge now. I could buy some new batteries, but they would probably cost as much as buying a new drill.

I don't want to spend any more than I need to. I already have an SDS drill for big jobs, so the new cordless drill will only be used for small jobs and screwing(!).

Nevertheless, I'd like something that's reliable and reasonably powerful, but I do realise (from experience) that batteries do eventually lose their ability to hold a charge, so I'm not really sure how much to spend if the batteries are going to go in a couple of years or so.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their advice and maybe recommend one or two particular models?

Sponsored Links
you have several options really
buy generic batteries to give extra life
buy adapters and dewalt li-ion batteries
or try lidl or aldi
or ryobi one+with around 60 tools for the garden or home to fit the same batteries
https://uk.ryobitools.eu/one/

If you're happy with your existing tools, then you can buy an adaptor that lets you use the Lion batteries, but it's not cheap. But the new Dewalt drills are so powerfull, that you could drop a level, and get a lighter drill. Your old dewalt drills were 18V, but no difference in run time, whilst the latest ones come in different battery sizes, but avoid the 2Ah or less, as they're nect to useless. The 4Ah are good, and the 5Ah even better f you have a cordless angle grinder. I've tried the 985, and couldn't get on with it, and now have a 795, and a 796, and they're great. The only fault is that the chucks don't seem to stay secure as well as the old range did.

I need to buy a new cordless drill. My old one (Dewalt 18V) still works, but both batteries barely hold any charge now. I could buy some new batteries, but they would probably cost as much as buying a new drill.

I don't want to spend any more than I need to. I already have an SDS drill for big jobs, so the new cordless drill will only be used for small jobs and screwing(!).

Nevertheless, I'd like something that's reliable and reasonably powerful, but I do realise (from experience) that batteries do eventually lose their ability to hold a charge, so I'm not really sure how much to spend if the batteries are going to go in a couple of years or so.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their advice and maybe recommend one or two particular models?

You can buy replacement batteries on ebay from third party manufacturers.

I've used Makita drills for years and I've been very happy with them, if you're looking for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried the third party batteries. The was s post recently for Makita third party batteries, and they only lasted a couple of months.

Have you tried the third party batteries. The was s post recently for Makita third party batteries, and they only lasted a couple of months.

I have but it wasn't mine and it didn't seem all that bad. All my Makita batteries are genuine. I'm talking about nicad dewalt that aren't OEM now.

Thanks all for your help.
The drills available at Lidl and Aldi seem to be brands I've never heard of. Whilst they are cheap, I wouldn't rely on them for any length of time.
Similarly, I never buy from fleabay because I couldn't trust them to guarantee their goods and I worry that they could be knock-offs anyway.
Also, I take the point about not bothering with 2Ah or less.

I have been expecting to pay no more than about £100. On that basis, I have found only two that could be what I want:

Bosch blue 18V GSB 18-2-LI Plus - 4Ah Li-Ion + 1 battery - 1 gear 0-1900rpm

Bosch green 18V PSB 18-LI-2 - 2.5Ah Li-Ion + 2 batteries - 2 gears 0-440/1650rpm

The Bosch blue looks better at 4Ah, although it has only one battery. As I said, I shall only need that for small jobs and screwing, so I may not get through one battery at a time anyway. The other thing is that it appears to have only one gear (0-1900rpm), so I'm not sure how useful it would be for screwing at low speeds which is probably what I'd be doing most.

I don't know whether any of you have had experience of either model. Whether or not, I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

I suppose the other option is to keep an eye out for 'special offers'!

Bosch blue are definitely better than green but they're still pretty crap. Had one that went back to screwfix after a day. I forget the exact model number but I just didn't take to it.

The other thing is that it appears to have only one gear (0-1900rpm)

It has a gear selector switch on the top though...

gsb-18-2-li-plus-38483-hires-png-rgb-196720.png

will only be used for small jobs and screwing

Seeing as you have an SDS for anything serious, have you thought about a more compact drill for screwdriving, pilot holes, etc?

https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/bosch-...ll-includes-2-x-1-5ah-batteries-charger-case/

Bosch blue ... ... still pretty crap.

I have to disagree, my blue GSR 18-v-Li has been going strong for about six years now. It gets a fair bit of abuse daily at work. The original compact 1.3Ah batteries are still going strong. It still has enough torque to cause wrist/forearm injury! I love that drill, can't fault it.

I have a 10.8v green one for home/DIY use also, really like that for screwdriving in particular, because the torque settings go down lower than any 18v drill I've ever used. Torque level 1 on the 18v is about the same as torque level 5 on the 10.8v.

It has a gear selector switch on the top though...

gsb-18-2-li-plus-38483-hires-png-rgb-196720.png

Seeing as you have an SDS for anything serious, have you thought about a more compact drill for screwdriving, pilot holes, etc?

https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/bosch-...ll-includes-2-x-1-5ah-batteries-charger-case/

Yes, thanks. There was no mention of gears on the web site where I saw the item (B&Q), but that certainly looks like a gear selector.

I think you also make a very good point about the more compact drill. It wouldn't have to have a hammer function for masonry though, as my SDS drill covers that, but a higher rpm than my SDS drill would be beneficial for HSS drill bits.

Bosch blue are definitely better than green but they're still pretty crap. Had one that went back to screwfix after a day. I forget the exact model number but I just didn't take to it.
I don't agree with that either. My SDS drill is Bosch blue and is excellent.

I have to disagree, my blue GSR 18-v-Li has been going strong for about six years now. It gets a fair bit of abuse daily at work. The original compact 1.3Ah batteries are still going strong. It still has enough torque to cause wrist/forearm injury! I love that drill, can't fault it.

I have a 10.8v green one for home/DIY use also, really like that for screwdriving in particular, because the torque settings go down lower than any 18v drill I've ever used. Torque level 1 on the 18v is about the same as torque level 5 on the 10.8v.

I don't agree with that either. My SDS drill is Bosch blue and is excellent.

Thats fine. I have a Bosch cordless grinder I like. That's about it. My opinion is their cordless drills are crap but you don't have to take my word for it, buy one.

I'll add, the newer coolpack batteries are better but the first lithium ones were pretty rubbish too. I have one in bits that lasted barely 12 months from new before the control circuitry burned out.

i have loads off 10.8v bosch blue [now often called 12v] and cant fault it rugged well built reliable never missed a beat and worth considering as a 18v alternative as modern li-ion tools perform 80-90% as well as old 18v tools

Having done some searching on the internet, it has occurred to me that a cordless impact driver might suit my needs better. I have found two Erbauer models at Screwfix which come withing my budget (just about):
ERI6041PD £89.99
ERI692IPD £109.99
Both are 18v with 2x 2.0Ah Li-Ion batteries. The more expensive one is brushless.

A few questions, if I may:
- I realise that Erbauer is not one of the 'big names', but would you recommend them?
- Bearing in mind Doggit's comment above, would 2.0Ah be adequate for an impact driver? I understand they are not as power-hungry as drills.
- Is a brushless motor worth the extra outlay?
- Accepting that the fitting is 1/4" hex, can they be used for smaller drilling jobs? The high speed of these would be useful for HSS drill bits. Obviously I'd need to find drill bits with hex-shaped shafts.
- If drilling, can the impact function be disabled?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back