Is there a better way? - 2 or 4 Channel Light controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know a better way to do this..
I have the following set up in my kitchen either side of the hob and extractor:
Left:
1 x Cupboard Spot (12V DC LED, 2W), and 1 x Cupboard Strip (12V DC LED 15W)
Right:
1 x Cupboard Spot (12V DC LED, 2W), and 1 x Cupboard Strip (12V DC LED 15W)

On both sides, there is a 40W LED driver, both connected back to a central switch in the kitchen. All the cabling was in the walls when the house was built 12months back. So basically there are 2 lights controlled by a single switch either side of the extractor. (there is no route between each side without seeing the wires)

The other half would now like to pick Spots or Strips, or both.. I have looked at 2 channel wifi switches, but would need one each side.. I would then also need 2 more drivers. One on each of the channels. Leaving me with 4 drivers, 2 controllers, all started to get expensive.

So I thought on the 12v side can I just interrupt the supply? Some form of 3 position switch after the driver. The main switch on the wall will give the On / Off. These second switches, one either side of the extractor (suitably hidden) would just give lighting selection.

Something like:
Pos 1 = A (spot)
Pos 2 = A+B (spots + Strips)
Pos 3 = B (strips)
(See the attached picture)

Anyone know of such a switch? Any considerations at 12v and around 20watts max?
I was thinking Automotive, Sidelights, Dipped Beam, or both. Would a switch from that sector be what I need?

Or is there better, neater way to do this?

Thanks All

Attachments

• ToggleSchematic.png
    ToggleSchematic.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back